Thread: Huge (30x30) cave intersection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    ... One way to get around this is to use an outer glow type effect to have the shadow on all sides, and then perhaps a bit more on the side with no light on a separate layer. ...
    Anyone got a set of steps for how I'd do this in GIMP? Or is that the Gausian Blur brush work that torstan described in his tutorial on newbiedm.com.

2/4 Well I worked on this again last night, and wasn't that happy with much of what I did. I did check out the Genetica Viewer, however and thats some sweet software. I might install it on a second machine so I can render while I do other things for bit texture panels.

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You can do it that way, but you can also do it with the drop shadow filter. Make sure you have a selection that includes all the walls and internal walls. Then go to Filter->Shadows (I think)->drop shadow. Play around with the setting and the displacement and that should give you the overall glow.

I messed around with this all day:

• I cleaned up my masks.
    • Stripped out the dropshadow.
    • Added a triplet of texture layers for the interior walls, but eventually just would up stripping them all out again.
    • Layered on the "torstan watercolor shadow" effect.
    • Created a siggy thing. (definately needs work)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three way cavern_plain_walls_merged_small.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	751.1 KB 
ID:	21867 and for comparison, the original Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three way cavern_merged_small.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	21868

I think my next project will be a little smaller.

.TM7

All work I post to the Cartographer's Guild is distributable under this Creative Commons license.
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-08-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: CC license boilerplate
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license