Thread: First gimp-made map - "Ankae : the southern kingdoms - "

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

All in all, a worthy effort. You can see the RobA tutorial influence, but with a good dose of your own style. The main weakness, IMO, is the mountains (also the most difficult part to get right, also IMHO). The first issue I notice with your mountains is that their color is the exact same as the background color of the map layers below the bumpmap. I think I know why you did that (with some of the mountains overlapping into desert regions, and the like), but they might look better if there was some sort of mountain-color layer with a gradient that fades out into the surrounding landscape towards the edge.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Novice

Thanks for the advice, i will try to follow it. I will also try to make the mountains look higher, with more pikes. And I've just found out that i forgot one kingdom in the legend ...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Now that you've got this style down I'd have a look through the tutorials for all the other mountain threads. There's quite a few... It's definitely worth doing and you've clearly got RobA's tutorial more or less worked out with this example. Good work, and welcome.