Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: an attempt at a city

Alot of small changes here. I put in the bases for the lesser buildings in the Shi'Kia Terada'al, the rest of the space will be used for estates and gardens. Added a small wall to the tops of the common buildings, it's kinda hard to see but when you compare them to the newly laid buildings you'll notice it. The buildings look a lot liek the walls at this stage but that will change as i add roof gardens and such.

Fiddle with the land to add a little more detail and to make the transition from water to land a lot smoother. The changes aren't all that noticeable because I really had to lower the resolution to get the map to show up on this site.

Will spend more time cleaning up what I haev before adding new stuff.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laer Ia'Bor.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	21996  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

holycarp
    nice so far I just spent ten mins scrolling around and sightseeing

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Okay, haven't done alot. I've mainly just spent time cleaning up the common district buildings, a lot of them still look wierd but doing it all with a mouse is taking me forever.

While still cleaning up the buildings I added a small district of ramshackle hovels and stuff in the northeastern area, this is the Casteless District where the lowest members of the social ladder live. I've also added a layer that makes the areas around the roads inside the city and around the buildings look like they've been cleared off all vegetation to give the city more of a lived in look. Also been fiddling around with the settings on the buildings to try and make them better but I'm still experimenting (rather unsuccesfully) with methods to try and make them look more like buildings and make the city look more alive.

Next I'll be doing more cleanup and put down the boards and timber floors for docks and piers.

-D-

Name:	Laer Ia'Bor.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	22085  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Okay, i think i've killed this city. I can't figure out how to create some nice looking buildings and my experiments/cleaning have screwed them up beyond repair, also can't figure out how to create some decent looking trees. I found a map drawn in CC3 that had some nice building I would like to do but i can't figure how to do the same thing in photoshop without having to go in and do each house individually, with a city this size that would bring me to the verge of a mental blowout. I also have a map from long ago that has nice buildings made in photoshop but i can't seem to track down the artist. I can't post either map because I'm pretty sure both artists are members here on the Guild and I don't want to post their work without permission.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

What is the City Map in CC3 you are refering to?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Give us a sample of 1 building showing the style I am sure CG can find a way.

Also what is WRONG with your buildings? You have some great shapes in there and apart from the repetitive texture and limited colour variation I dont see any probs. Those two issues mentioned can be fixed quite easily with layer effects to break up the textures and the colour.

Considering the sheer size of the city you are doing great imo.

looking pretty good so far! Yeah, the joy of creating all those buildings in a city still, looking forward to seeing the next layer placed on top. Btw you could check Sapientos (i think it was his map) entry for destructive land challenge (Atlantis), he did an amazing job on the buildings using some brushes, i think its posted in the thread. cheers
    Last edited by Djekspek; 02-17-2010 at 07:13 PM.

@NeonKnight - The map is one of Gandwarf's maps, I think it was his Concentron map but I don't know. I have it on my hardrive somewhere, I'll find it and upload a small snapshot of the buidlings I found interersting. Hope you don't mind Gandwarf.

@Djekspek - Thnx, I'll look into Sapiento's maps, I think i was looking at them the other day.

@Najmir - Not all of the buildings are problematic, the method used to create them is good (thnx go out to Talmariel for the tut on how to do so) but my road plan screwed it up. I've posted some pics below to show what I mean by problematic. I want my buildings to like the ones in pic 1, a little adjustments and they'll be fine. The problem with my road map is that I either have plots of land too small, too triangular or too narrow. I either end up with buildings that are too weird of shape (pic 2), are too small or look too incomplete (pic 3) or take up too much of the plot becoming one large block (pic 4). I'm keeping the technique but I will need to redraw the road plan to make the plots larger and more open, this will make my city look smaller as a result but i'm willing to make that move.

-D-

Name:	bi1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	22208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bi2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	22211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bi3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	22212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bi5.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	22214  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

There is this city map by Gandwarf:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...on-by-Gandwarf

Is this the one?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

While that is sort of the style the map i was referring to is actually his Tweeberg map, just found it now. Very similiar but the buildings in Tweeberg seem a little more order and compact, perfect for a busy city.

Below is a snapshot from his Tweeberg map to show what I mean and the second pic is a snapshot form the other map i was talking about, it's called Hastad Ciudad (i think) and I'm not sure if the artist was on this site or deviantART.

-D-

Name:	snapshot1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	22218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapshot2.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	22219  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast