Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: an attempt at a city

MAJOR UPDATE!

I've completed the northwestern district of the city. Known as the Western Sprawl District it is the main residential area for the Commoner Caste. The large buildings around the square (or rectangle) are the Main Market and Mercantile Contract Buildings. Those of you who look closely should notice dark streaks on the roofs of some of the buildings, mainly in the northern sector, this was a mistake on my behalf that is currently irreversible. Instead of doing all of those buidlings again I've decided to include it in the background of the town, maybe there was a fire in that area some time ago, or maybe it's just a poorer area.

While not seen here, i've gone back and blurred the edges of the cliffs so that they blend into the water instead of sitting upon it. Seen here but not too noticeable, i've added an extra texture to the water to simulate some more waves and the direction of the current, and I've also tweeked the forests so that they aren't so flat.

Next I'll be jumping across the river to the central district, it's smaller and so should be done faster.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WSD..jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	22527  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along quite nicely... but you know you're certifiably insane, right?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm a psychology student so I'm allowed to be

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Sick mate! Have some rep.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No wonder you're doing so well LWD, I have my Masters degree in psychology. We must all be detail obsessives.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, dude. Just wow. I am filled with the green wine of envy.

Nah, it's actually the other way around. I try to get snippets of the map done in between assignments, which is why i won't have an update on the map for a while now, nothing big anyway, don't want to take up your time with small tweaks.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

You are insane! This looks amazing.

Not a major update, but i've reached a lull in my uni work so i've been able to get something done. I've made a tweek to the water, lands and forests. I've removed the texture from the water to make it look a little smoother, before and after pics below. For the land i've really toned done the brightness of it and added smaller areas of browner/muddier ground to break up the green. A new layer of forest was added in top of the first and both were given a dark green colour overlay to get rid of that flat-topped beveled look.

I've also gone back and redid the central island distrcit, it was looking a little delapitated and since this islands serves as a stop-off between the rich district and the industrial and commercial districts i decided to spiff it up a bit. I removed all of the grey commercial buildings, several of the warehouses, redid the tan residential buildings, put in more hedges, fences and trees and put in a new special building, the Companion Playhouse.

Almost done with district two, will post it soon along with a larger map showing all of my progress so far.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest 1..jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	22896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest 2..jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	22897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water1..jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	22898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water2..jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	22899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CID..jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	602.0 KB 
ID:	22901  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast