Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: an attempt at a city

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really like your thoughts on red roofs - nice ... and good link Ascension ... maybe we should make a book "Castles for dummies"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

No red roofs then
    I like the effect you achieved in your latest examples. Keep up the good work!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Update, completed District 3, that's all of the common districts completed and the better half of all housing.

District 3, known as the Eastern Industrial District is where the majority of the city's noiser and less fragrant workshops are, the area alway has the city's main dock and proportionally less gardens. There are also two new changes here that are being implemented across the other common districts. First, several homes have been removed to be replaced some smaller market stalls, just to break up the mass of buildings and add some more variety and colour. Second you'll notice those strange stones outside of the city walls, those are Kaija Stones and are placed around Dal cities to ward off malevolent spirits by forming a magickal barrier of sorts.

In district 3 there three major locations, the fish market, the Warden of Waterfront (Harbour Master) and the barracks and admin building of the cities patrol vessels. They are arranged north to south respectively, I'm now moving onto the upper-middle class district, the buildings here are larger so they should take less time to get them all down. Still haven't chosen a colour for the roofs yet, will have some examples of experimenting up soon.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EID..jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	23235  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Here are some of the experiments i've done to try and create some houses for my upper class areas. The roofs of the houses are supposed to be tiled but getting a good look is bugging me, i need to find more patterns to use, i only have two that make for good tiled roofs. Will have to experiment more but i'm leaning towards something more on the lines of no 2, but lighter.

-D-

Name:	experiments copy&#.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	23251  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

The common districts are quite packed in, they're nicknamed the common sprawls, but the upper class district will be quite open, divided up by roads and fences but with a lot of open ground and more parks and stuff. I am going back and trying to break up the mass of buildings, the new markets were the first step, i'm also going back and putting in more gardens and some parks and stuff, it'll still be packed but sinse it won't all be buildings and featuring more green areas it'll give more breathing space.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Still looking great... can't wait to see it all together
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Okay, my tweaks didn't work out quite as well as i had hoped but they accomplished their primary goal which was to break up the mass of buildings a bit more. I'm moving on from the common districts for now, i'll revist them later but before i go entirely nuts I'm having a go at the upper district. I do intend to add more white areas of cobblestones because after all the city is called the City of White Rock

Here is the map of the city as it currently stands, i've also added an extra level of elevation to the cliffs just to make them rise up a bit more and made them look rockier.

-D-

Name:	Laer Ia'Bor..jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	23273  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

My next batch of roof experiments using a new texture, still not quite there yet but getting better.

-D-

Name:	experiments copy&#.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	23310  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast