Thread: First Serious Map Attempt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK. Like a kid at Christmas, I'm jumping between toys willy-nilly, and as I was randomizing up the coastline I decided to switch over to Ascension's Antique style for a little bit.

This was a little bit of playing around, but what I'd really like feedback on is the mountains. I used RobA's rotating brush script to make the single and V-line mountains - the "style", if there is one, is 2 parts Ascension and one part Colton (google Colton World Map, first hit)

I need to fix up the straight-line style a *lot*, and the V-line experiment I don't like at all. The straight lines I think I need to firm up some actual ridges - I was attempting to "build up" the range with mutliple levels of lines, but I'm not sure that really got the idea across.

I'd be best served with a tablet and an hour hand-drawing the little lines I wish I knew a way to get the lines to "lengthen" during a stroke; alternatively, if I were to stroke a path with this brush, it could take the length of the path, grow the line for the first 50%, and then shrink it back down for the second 50%. I may have to put on a coding hat and combine RobA's tapered stroke path with his rotating brush, but that'll be a long time coming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simpleatlas03.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	954.5 KB 
ID:	22231

Thanks!

Koewn

Yet another mountain post - I thought I'd try the same line style but add "peaks". This is just a section of the north part while I'm playing around. Different "woodcut" too.

Name:	mountaintest02.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	22254

Name:	mountaintest03.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	22255

And more, smaller lines, with and without peaks.

Name:	mountaintest04.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	22257

Name:	mountaintest05.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	22256

Thanks!

Koewn
    Last edited by koewn; 02-19-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: More tests added.

More mountain tests. The lines are closer together, and the upward "face" of the mountain has longer lines.

With and without peaks:

Name:	mountaintest06.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	22287

Name:	mountaintest07.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	22288

I think the basic structure of what I'm trying here would work better with better "lashes" - they feel a little artificial, espc. when next to the waviness of the water "woodcut".

Thanks!

Koewn