Thread: Newbie say hello!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Info Newbie say hello!

Hi all

Yesterday I stumbled across a link to your site while reading the GURPS fora and I'm baffeled by the resources I was able to find here.
    I'm new to cartography and unfortunatley not very gifted when it comes to creating maps and graphics. I had to dive into the subject as I GM a post apocalyptic GURPS game (Atomschlag (Nuclear Strike)) and I'm in dire need of some decent mapping. I'll keep on browsing the fora and reading threads but will probably soon begin to bombard you with questions. Please, forgive any ignorance I might show as I have no training and little experience. I've watched about half the tutorials Adobe offers on its site regarding Photoshop and Illustrator and I'm slowly getting to know the applications but I'm still far away from using them to their potential.

I've found a nifty little application called Google Map Buddy (sadly its Windows only) which I have been using to create large bitmaps I overlaid with player relevant information. This makes sense in my campaign as the PCs grew up in a vault and thus have access to pre-apocalyptic maps of the world.

Of course, now that I've seen what you are able to create I'm eager to improve on my skills.

Also, if you have created maps for a Falloutesque scenario, please point me to them as I would be happy to recycle them into my campaign.

Thanks for reading and have a nice sunday!

Onkl

Edit: Here's one of the first maps I created... as I said, I'm neither a gifted artist nor skilled so be gentle Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Vegas.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	763.1 KB 
ID:	22090

Edit2: Also, if you know of a better place to put my maps to show to you, please let me know

Edit3: Thanks for the inline posting advice!
    Last edited by Onkl; 02-14-2010 at 08:32 AM.