Thread: How do I decide where to place roads on a world map?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't think we have any posts covering the topic but I could be wrong. Some basic common sense is pretty much the best approach. Don't run em thru mtns when you can run em thru plains; avoid monster areas; avoid swamps or deserts unless there is appropriate technology or serious need; capitols will be connected for certain; wherever roads intersect there will likely be a lil town grow up around that; roads are mostly meant for merchants and armies so the road that is the fastest is not always the shortest; and never make straight lines
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Haha, thanks! I did know most of those points, but it was a good refresher and you pointed out a couple things I didn't think of too. I just hope I don't break my file. It's already 3 MB. Adding a whole layer for roads... Haha, I'm lucky I have an i7. >_>