Thread: Simple Caverns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ascension - Normally I'd be cool with that, but the idea for this series is that the top third, middle third, and bottom third are three separate "map panels" where each side is an alternate setup, so by flipping over different pieces, you end up with eight possible configurations (Side A Side A Side B, BBA, BAB,etc... like my Underground Temple, which has 64 configurations), so they have to match. I am kinda going for some of the flexibility and reusability of dungeon tiles, with the cohesive look, larger scale, and transportability of things like Paizo Flipmats.

I wish I knew what I did to make it look green and slimy in the first one--I kind of prefer that look. Oh well, I'll keep tweaking.

Thanks for all the great feedback, by the way!

Torstan - Yeah, it does look volcanic, doesn't it? The actual texture is a black volcanic rock, but I have a 'texture' bevel/emboss blending filter of bubbling tar (I use the Genetica Viewer textures) to make it look a little less even/tiled. I am really new to this whole map making thing, so I am still learning all these neat tips and tricks in photo shop. The tutorials on this site are really great for that! Oh, and the floor is simple a concrete texture with some of the wall texture leaking through to create dark patches.

Statues sound great! The sad thing is, I suck at drawing and it is really hard to find creative commons images that are from the overhead-angle... I'll have to figure something out! Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 02-18-2010 at 03:30 PM.

the dundjinni forums have a ton of that kind of stuff as transparent .png files, and there is also the CSUAC compendium over at gmsapprentice.com, both of which require registration...

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

TM7, Thanks for the advice, but sadly I have to go this on my own--I put my maps up for sale on TheGameCrafter for cheap, so it has to all be creative commons stuff or stuff I make myself.