Thread: Idle Hands = Devil's Playground?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So my future landlord dropped the ball and didn't call the cleaning crew to get my new place ready for me, thus I'm stuck on vacation (which I took to move) with nothing to do but work on this map. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I had to cancel furniture deliveries and what not which is going to create havoc later on.

That means, however, that I have a bit of an update for this map. A two part update to be exact.

The first part of this update is, for the most part, nothing more than a slight shift of the terrain to make more ocean visible. I might, if the mood strikes me, try to add in a few more islands along the coast line.

The other part of this update is the filling in of another section along the eastern edge of the map. With the shifting of the terrain, I was able to isolate another portion and finish up the contour tracing in a couple of hours. This render is still fairly rough and low-ended (1/3rd the intended full-sized render) and the coloring has been trimmed back significantly for right now. I did jack-up the shadow-casting though, just to make the elevations a bit more visible. I'm hoping, since I'll have loads of free time this weekend, to finish up the southern portion of the map (those areas below the major river) and run another render before going back to work Monday morning.

Future plans for this (once all the contour tracing is done) include a bit of smoothing, some erosion/incise flow work in Wilbur, and then some major work on the base surface texturing. That will be followed by forest build-ups and river/lake plotting and then the more detailed surface texturing.

All in all, I'm still pretty happy with the way things are progressing, and have started jotting down some notes about where the villages/towns and cities are likely to go. I've yet to decide how I'm going to represent them (along with any major roads), but I have a couple of ideas in mind. I've also started working up some basic "fantastical" history for this map, but that is about as far, if not further, away from being finished as the map, itself, is.

GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RLE-02-20-10-a.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	22290  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges