Thread: October Entry: temple transformation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post I must be tired...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Small Critique, the Apses would look like they are actually Vestries, especially if they were used for the sanctifying of the priests/priestess before a ceremony. Technically, the Apse would be where you have the Dawn Illuminary Chamber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodo...%28building%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestry
    Doh! You are absolutely right! I must be exhausted - its past midnight again.

Thank you very much, NeonKnight! I will rename those from "Apse" to "Vestry"

You do realize, that the inside of THIS monastic temple, doesn't look like an eastern orthodox cathedral. I changed the architecture to do something different, yet still maintain "accuracy" to the outside structure. In other words it could have been built this way.

Anyway, thanks again - I will change it sometime tomorr... er... today!

Oh and let me add, that I love CC3, I am still very much a newbie though. I just received DD3 and the CD version of the Ultimate Tome (I know its CC2), but still very helpful.

I see Profantasy map-making software as far more practical than what I am using - its just you have to be proficient to make it work for you. Since I'm more the artist, I like to try different, even bizarre experiments and sometimes require a tool like Xara Xtreme to accomplish.

I very much admire your work, and hope that I will be as good someday.

This map, I'm making is a different kind of animal altogether.

If I was more proficient with CC3/DD3 I would probably be doing this challenge with those applications instead. (Despite the results so far...)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-09-2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: added a comment!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

No probs. Just figured, might as well make terminology correct though I have been known to be wrong in the past as well
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wip Now I'm done with level one...

Thanks to NeonKnight's sharp eyes and sense of ecclesiastic vocabulary, I've changed the names of the Apse and Vestry chambers. Rotated the compass rose 180 degrees, and moved one of the inner sanctum choir pedestals under the grid - that's it, everything is corrected.

Now onto level two - this should go much faster!

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monastery-level-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	1086  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Level Two - completed!

I told you it would be faster! Level Two is complete.

I finally used 3D. The domes, cupalos and half dome are all 3D objects rendered in my old Raydream Studio with Nendo objects.

Although I could have easily created shaded circles in Xara, I wanted the lighted side to follow the gentle curves of the dome and cupalo just right. Surprisingly the colors I selected in Raydream was damn close to what I already created with the previous roof structures in Xara.

I really wanted to keep the two looking separate so I kept the original roofing with Xara and placed the 3D transparent PNG objects right on top. The tiny half dome at the top of the Dawn Luminary Apse dome isn't in the photo, its a cheat to cover a small 3D artifact at the top of the dome. It works though.

The Sacristy Gallery is where the holy books, scrolls and vestments are kept. Monks also copy these documents here in the sacristy. Although other documents are copied in the cloisterhouse behind this cathedral, the holy documents must be "near the goddess" for allowed copying.

The "niche" over the doorway into the Inner Sanctum below, is an open arch window that views the Dawn Luminary Apse below. Though rarely allowed, when an exceptional person or authority figure and family wish to witness: a marriage, baptism, right of passage, or funeral, they are allowed to watch from the gallery (the table here is moved to one of the side wings of the gallery).

You will also notice a lack of books and scrolls in the Sacristy Gallery, thats because there is a good ole fashion "book burning" going on in the inner court. This will be viewable when I map the monastery grounds.

Any comments?

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monastery-level-2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1094  
    DrivethruRPG store

The 3d work is gorgeous! Very nice color.

Those stools are enormous, though!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Noticed that too, huh?

Well these priests have big, fat ... oh yeah, I guess 2.5 foot diameter seats are kind of big, aren't they. I can keep the books and scrolls oversized, but them stools need to be about half the size, don't they?

That's an easy fix!

I'll get to that and begin the cellar level after work tonight.
    DrivethruRPG store