Thread: Custom Brushes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Or maybe just no one's had a chance to respond, things are usually slow near the weekends [edit - see? whiile I was typing, ascension replied too, hah!]

Making brushes from your own art is pretty simple, wether you ink them or not is up to you - I might suggest scanning them both before and after inking, then turn both into brushes to experiment, or deciding which one you want to keep. Once scanned, you can run them through sharpening or blurring filters, or adjust the contrast, so that's worth a go before you decide on what you want to keep.

As to creating the brush palette, it sounds like you're familiar with creating the brushes in the first place, so you seem like you're wanting to figure out how just set it up so the brushes you want are in their own file?

Assuming that's the case, it's pretty easy, the key is that you need to go to the Edit> Preset manager
    Switch that to Brushes (i think that's the default anyhow) and you can manage your brushes from there.

The easiest way is to highlight the brushes you want to save as a set (select individual brushes by clicking on them, ctrl-click to add individual brushes to the selection, shift-click to add a range between the first clicked and the shift-clicked one) and then tell it Save Set.

Then you can store them or distribute as you see fit. You can also sort your brushes by rearranging - click and drag.

As to the map you uploaded, it's a good map. the only issue that jumps out at me is the style of trees is not consistent with the other symbols on the map. Other than that it looks great!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice

hehe sorry my bad i had a ps3 issue and was kinda cheking the thread every 5min lol Thanks for the Great info guys ! and yeah the biggest issue i got was the tree fitting with the rest . Thats the main reason im starting a brush palette ;0) the rips of the map is something to get better at, i should chek out more map to see the style since im not really use to it , thanks for pointing it out so i can improve my eye candy looking map . Im woundering how much mountain / hills / tree do i need to get a decent random in the making , i figure i could make a infinite number if i want but , is there anny reference as to how much of one version of a props is require to get a good palette ? And for the whole style id like to stick with the old hand draw thing , makes for a better Adventurer bag smash old paper ;0)
    Last edited by icedsnake; 03-02-2010 at 02:43 AM.