Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: October Challenge: Monastery

And here is the upper 'level' of the temple.

As I said before, this is a large open space temple, allowing lots of light to enter into it.

I may change the Orientation of the maps to have the larger 'domed' section to be at the northern end of the building thus increasing the amount f light that enters in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monastery Second Tier.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	1060  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

So, I thought I would instead of trying to do a photo realistic mape, I would instead do a more plain simple map, that would be more in keeping with some of the old Modules of my youth.

Jade Roof Monastery

My concept of this monastery, and the trouble it is experiencing is as follows:

The monastery is devoted to a god of Justice and is situated just outside of the PC’s campaign home base. It could perhaps be a place of worship and healing for the players during the course of the campaign, serving them from 1st level.

Sometime during the campaign in question, a cult of worshippers of a god of Deception & Betrayal has located a before unknown entrance to the temple from the underdark, and with the help of a Doppleganger Priest of the cult infiltrated the temple from beneath, slaying most of the lay brethren and clerics of the temple at night. The Doppelganger has assumed the role of the previous head priest/abbot of the monastery and is now on a course of slowing converting the local populace to worship of his own god through guile and subterfuge. This will begin by first slowly twisting the meanings of the sermons of justice to become more dark and violent in the justice and punishment to be dealt, in the hopes of soon turning the majority of the townsfolk away from their beliefs.

While this is going on, the cultists will be kidnapping local travelers to sacrifice them to their own dark god in the new temple they have erected in the caverns beneath the Monastery. Once they believe the majority of the townsfolk are ready for their brand of justice they plan on enacting crime sprees including mass murders committed by lesser doppelganger followers in the town, until the town has been whipped into a frenzy of bloodlust. The scapegoat will then be captured and sacrificed on the High Alter of the Justice God in the main temple, forever desecrating from Good!

PCs can unravel the mystery and hopefully notice things afoot in the temple before the evil cult’s plan reach a crescendo.

The outlying monastery grounds consist of the following:

1. The Jade Roof Temple: This is the main worship are of the townsfolk.

2. Jade Roof Monastery Chapter House: This building served as the meeting area for the High ranking priests of the Jade Roof Monastery.

3. Abbot’s House: This was the residence of the

Abbot, but is now the residence of the Doppelganger.

4. Almonry: This building is the where the local townsfolk hard on their luck would come to receive Alms and Charity from the temple.

5. Cloister with Fountain

6. Dormitory with Reredorter (a small projection over the river from which the Priests could to the washroom and their waste would be carried away).

7. Lay brother’s residence (the non priest worshipers dwelt here)

8. Fraterhouse/Refectory (Dining hall)

9. Kitchen (Built separate incase of fire)

10. Infirmary

11. Library

12. Blacksmith

13. Stables

14. Guesthouses

Name:	Monastery Crypts-Plain.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	1166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monastery Foundation - Simple.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	836.2 KB 
ID:	1167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monastery Grounds.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	1168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monastery Main-1-Simple.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	375.7 KB 
ID:	1169  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 10-20-2007 at 07:07 AM.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Looking great Neon! You've put a lot of thought into the background and context of the building and its use.

My only comment is that the greens in the regional map are really saturated, might want to play with them a bit. I'm not sure if the regional map works on a 'consistency of texture' basis as well, in that the grass is textured but the paths and the river are not.

I really like your underground map. (I personally prefer that sort of style of mapping of structures to the hyper-real ones). I would love to see (purely for my benefit!) all the maps in just black, white and grey.

Ravs

These maps are indded reminsicent of the classic D&D days maps. How nice! Good job on the write-ups, too!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hows this for an almost TRUE classic D&D?

If I had time, I would do the symbols themselves as well

Name:	Monastery Crypts-Plain-Classic D&D.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1171  

The Dundjinni user creations forums actually has what amounts to all those original map symbols.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123