Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March Challenge Entry: Iwaizumi

Blog Entries

Compass change along with the addition of the shrine.

You'll notice the lack of the classic Japanese ribbed-roof architecture. The snow in the mountains is extremely heavy, resulting in a meter or more of accumulated snow on the roof. The traditional construction is not only far too gentle in slope, it feature a flare at the corners also known as "a snow catcher".

The mountain people compensate by using a very steep pitch of about 55 degrees, a style familiar familiar to those living in snowy northern regions as the "A-frame". Not only does this style discourage snow from gathering beyond a certain depth, but it also vastly increases the load-bearing capacity of the roof joists.

The other characteristic that was common in medieval construction was thatch. The roofs were constructed from a massive amount, a meter in thickness, which not only give strength, but also is an excellent insulator. With so much of the surface of the structure covered with thatch, it made for a very cozy place indeed. Also, a correctly constructed thatch roof would last forty years before it had to be replaced. Felt and shingle roofs like those on most homes in the US last around twenty.

Thatch roofs are vulnerable to fire, but warfare in medieval Japan generally avoided civilians and civilian structures. The walls around the Lord's home were meant to protect the warriors, not the peasantry. In a fantasy world, things might well be different with raiding hobgoblins delighting in torching thatch-roofed houses for the fun of it.

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iwaizumi..jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	22621
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Blog Entries

Here's an excellent illustration of a medieval farm house.

Name:	farmhouse..gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	22632

Lots of other good stuff at the link.
    ----------

Nice link, IMm!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

aye great link! being inspired by it already as usual your map is coming along nicely. one little comment: the snow looks a little 'grey' in my opinion. cheers!

Blog Entries

Added skating rink, farm houses and a couple of markers. The rink may be a bit whimsical at first glance for the mood of the piece, but that's a heck of a mountain of snow piled up on the side. Anything could be hidden underneath all that snow. Anything at all.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	48 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	22666
    ----------

Blog Entries

Two buildings added but important ones. One is the mill, where grain is ground into flour beneath the heavy stone mill wheel. The miller would be one of the more prosperous members of the community by virtue of his importance.

The second building is the tannery. Tanning is a smelly process, using a number of foul substances that others in the village have no particular interest in smelling, so the tannery is well away from the rest of the village. No doubt the family that operates the tannery is no more popular, with prolonged exposure to harsh chemicals discoloring their skin and promoting a variety of health issues. Their function is vital, however, and nobody would suggest that they aren't needed.

The tanner is complete with tanning vats and stretching and drying racks. Waste products, of which there are many, are dumped into the river. The next village down tries not to think too much about it, just as the residents of Iwaizumi try not to think too much about the next village up-river.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	65 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	22695
    ----------

Looking good. Love the signs. Where are you getting the proper characters and how are you getting them into PS? Just curious.
    M

Blog Entries

http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html and the method is clumsy, involving screen-shots and select / color range.
    ----------

Blog Entries

It's been a tough weekend to do much as we've been replacing the network for our call center in Costa Rica in the middle of the night Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and it's pretty much knocked me out. But after a nap today I managed to find a nifty example of a mountain thatch house that is interesting and different from my farm houses.

Name:	PicForNewsletter&#74.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	22857

So I used this style for the village proper.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	57 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	22858
    ----------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast