Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March Entry: Snow Country

Default D'oh!

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out, Imm! I know what happened. I created the regional map as a separate file, combined the map objects, before I placed the labels. Saved then imported to the map file. When I moved the regional to its proper place, the labels weren't combined, so when I selected the regional and dragged to the corner, the labels stayed in place. When I was doing it I noticed the labels disappeared, but I didn't think to look at the center of the map - duh!

Got it - fixed it...

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iwaizumi-final..jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	22634  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Last tweaks...

All this time I've been claiming to Ghostman that I fixed the seam problem, it turns out if I don't zoom in far enough, I won't see it.. I zoomed in - I saw it. The only best way to fix that problem is to scan the dang house again as a whole piece, no seam. That's what I did.

So I thought what else could I do. Those arrows turned out pretty big, by the Ryusendo Caves and Sakainokami Mountain labels. What happened there is those were lines not shapes, so when I reduced the map from design size at 24 x 36 down to letter size, the lines stayed at the same pixel size as in large form - thus too big. I converted the lines to shapes and they stayed at the size I wanted.

Thought to myself, how can I make that family crest compass rose more Japanese and less Roman looking. I made a solid circle of indigo behind it - I think that's much better. Well unless anyone finds a further blooper, I think I'm finally done.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	iwazumi-odp-map..jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	22637  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

its a beautiful map, but I've said that before... I think perhaps the compass has gotten a bit dark (but thats up to personal taste). One thing I would fix was to align the text in NW of the map to the arrow - right now they don't really "connect" like the text and arrow in the SW corner.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks, Tilt! Indigo (dark blue) is the laborer's color in Japan, because indigo was the cheapest dye so was used to create all work clothes, including farmer ware. I thought using the color was appropriate. Dark, but I tried about a dozen other color combinations and it didin't work for me.

There's only two ways to make the text and arrow connect better...

1. Rotate the text to line up with the arrow. However, Ryusendo is so long, it won't fit in that tight space.

2. Right justify the text so the right side lines up with the arrow, but that means breaking Ryusendo and Caves on separate lines, - maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Hi GP
    I thought as much that Indigo was a common color for japan - but then again - adding some water to colors makes them lighter, thus one could use a "percentage" of indigo and still stay in style
    and I think 2 would be the right solution for the arrow-text-combo.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Default A couple tweaks

At Tilt's suggestion, I decided to do a couple tweaks. I made the indigo on the compass rose a tad lighter. Also right justified the text label on Ryusendo Caves with an extra line break between Ryusendo and Caves to better align the arrow with the text block.

Good tips, Tilt!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	iwaizumi-odp-map&#46.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	22639  
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

great color ... the alignment looks a little better but there is still an angle between the text and arrow - I would find it more perfect if the text where at the same angle as the arrow *said with tiny little voice* *LOL*
    regs tilt

Any more of an angle and I think it would be too hard to read. Appreciate the suggestion, but I think I am there. More stuff to do this month then spend it all on this map. Thanks anyway - I am happy where its at (unless anything really glaring to tweak once again...)

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

The best thing about this challenge for me, is that I need to make a Hengeyokai village for my Kaidan adventure 2 - and this was perfect practice in getting the style I want. Anyway, I'll post a WIP once I get going, but it will use the same roofs - different placement, and same style, just for a summer time depiction, instead of winter as in this map. I need some rough water stream and waterfalls, so mine should be more fun.

As said, this challenge was the perfect try that I needed.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast