Thread: Subcontinent: The Westerlands in Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah... I noticed that too. The hovering effect only happened when I physically moved the mountains into position with the lasso, which happened after the channel to selection steps. I'll probably take a second crack at things using your suggestion of editing the cloud layer before generating the mountains/hills. I think I may try a hybrid technique between the one in Ascension's tutorial and the one in Rob A's Artistic regional map tut.

Wip Trying Again

Okay, after quite awhile away, I have decided to have another go at this regional map. It's currently still a WIP. I started over with the mountains using Gidde's adaptation of Ascension's atlas tutorial. I played with brushing the clouds used to make the mountains in order to make them appear where I wanted, and I feel the result looks much better than my previous attempt. I then applied Arsheesh's technique for generating forests. While I think it turned out okay, the smooth, sudden edges of some of the forests kind of bug me. I may need to tweak this somehow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westerlands mounains.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	33865