Thread: valley region map for my warhammer roleplay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I like it.

If I had a comment it is a careful one - I may not be very clear on this...

You have beautiful mountains basically forming a wall around the center of the action. They look really really nice but they dominate the whole map. Anything you put in the middle has to compete with all the jagged peaks.
    Furthermore the mountains seem more stylistic than descriptive. I don't think from looking at the map that each mountain has a name, and is where the map says. Rather I think of old maps with regions that read 'here be dragons' - lots of mountain more as a warning than a description.

I would suggest you pull all the mountains off the map, develop the core so you are sure of what the map has to say then put as much or as many of the mountains back as make sense. If the mountains are a frame reduce their size and impact. If they are descriptive of the geography give some of them names, reduce their number and increase their variety - more low varied peaks etc...

It seems that there is a lot of flat very pretty paper with things on it. I don't feel like I'm looking at a piece of land. I say this guardedly because it is not necessarily a valid criticism. Many maps, especially early ones are a lot like this - if that is your goal take my comment as a compliment.. There are many maps with this feeling - they signify more than describe.

You seem to be going from the outside in. What happens if you determine what you want to show and work back?

There's lots of style and impact in the map. The pieces would make good brushes.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-14-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Wip

thx for the feedback sigurd ,

indeed i took a long objective look at my map and tbh the mountains where a little strong, .. ive "slimmed" them down a bit ... and slightly altered the color to a little lighter ...

I was going for a "frame" of mountains as the village is located on a higher plateau/valley ... and they are surrounded by high peaks with only 2 ways in and out of the valley ( the spots left and right without mountains )
    ive left 3 "larger" mountains to be named

the actually "creator" of the map was more of an adventurer then geologist. he did survey the region once his group settled there but he wasn't a professional mapmaker ( neither am i lol ) and im trying to go for a early type hand drawn map feel . the mountains are more style indeed , because there rather dangerous to explore , lots of nasty green skins ( orc , goblins ) and the adventurer dint really feel like accurately depicting them.

im working from the outside in because i have a rather decent idea of how i want the lay of the land ot look like , after that ill fill in town location , monoliths , places of interest ect and ive worked with layers for each addition so basicly i can remove or alter anything without impacting anything else .. so alteration can be done while working

and tbh ive always worked from outside in , its a habit i picked when learning to draw :p

still haven't figured a good way to draw my lakes / rivers tho ...
    whatever i try it just comes out all wrong ... to think lines , to lite .. or it just look like a circle on the map ... need some hint/ techniques for this :p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campain map kroge.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	22909