Thread: Advice on a Logo?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a lot of logoes behind me - and in front I hope ... so I'm going at this from the pro-angel with a dash of cartography on top
    I like the form - it makes sense to advertise your maps with a logo depicting a compass
    I like the F... keep letters in a logo simple, so change your M to the same font
    Colors work in CMYK also with only a slight decrease in saturation

please think about these things:
    Does it print well in color?
    Does it print well in b/w?
    Do the fine lines print?
    It's in its own sqaure here - how will you intergrate it with an existing map - should it have a border around it to separate it from the map?
    If no border - will the background be transparrent to take into account different background colors?
    Could the compass be confused for the maps compas?
    How will it work on stationary and so forth? (you could make a simplified version for that use)

Looking good
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    please think about these things:
    It's in its own sqaure here - how will you intergrate it with an existing map - should it have a border around it to separate it from the map?
    wow tilt... nicely put *rofl* ... yep, I'm all for self contained logos - especially for games as the logo often will "compete" for attention with the cover (as oposed to a letterhead).
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Since my product name shortens to VD I should like to chip in with the thought that really your logo is more important than the name because you will be putting it about more often than the words mainly due to space constraints. So FM is going to be a very prominent character set as you go around stamping it down. If Fantastic Maps is what you want to stamp about then maybe a logo without the FM would be better than one that has the characters on it. I think VD is almost the ultimate faux pas logo thing I did and I should have gone for something different maybe but I had the 'viewing' bit cast in stone before adding the more optional 'dale' but anyway just also thought that FM sounds like "eff 'em" and maybe you should not do what I did wrong.

With people like Microsoft their logo had the whole name and when making icons for their products then chose to have very iconic but abstract shapes. The E for explorer and DevStudio logos are particularly noticeable even tho they don't spell it out for you. Something unique in color and shape is more important than trying to force the acronym. Google has spent ages shaping up their 8x8 pixel web page "favicon" and although it is a 'g' its not a 'G' like the google font. In fact its very iconic and not at all like trying to force the google name into that space.

Also FM as in FM8 is associated with fractal mapper and though you wont think there would be any connection you would be surprised at what some people connect what with what.

My 2p anyhoo. But since I didn't do very well with my logo then its not worth much more than its 2p face value