Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [ProArtist] Trying to develop a new RPG publishers model...

Props and Accessories for added product value...

Looking for ways to add value to the base product, I've been thinking of including a set of 8 (?) map tiles that correlate to whatever theme for each month's product. For example for the Assassin's Amulet the intro product, I was thinking of creating an Endless Alleyways set with geomorphic edges as other map tiles I've done.

Copy the idea of paper D&D money in varying values of silver, gold and platinum pieces as PDFs that users print on their own inkjets, or have the local Kinkos print it (with ads that I can do this for X cost.)

Create printable "card" sets (recommened using cardstock) with 8 cards per letter size sheet: with different sets each month in the form of NPCs, Villains, Monsters, Treasure, Traps, etc. For Assassin's Amulet product, since I'd be using the Endless Alleyways map tiles, create a set of 5 (8 card sheets) describing Alley Encounters: packs of diseased rats, rabid familiars, feral dogs, giant centipedes, horde of coc-kroaches (avoiding the profanity filter...), homeless wino, mugging thief, an assassin, etc.

I'm trying to dream up more ideas, probably thinking three such bonus products per month: a set of map tiles, a card set, and one other product - the paper money would be just one month's bonus, with a different type item each month.

Thoughts?

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-22-2010 at 01:11 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Whoops wrong thread - see the General Forum for this post... oopsey.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-07-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

That's similar to a card game I have going, but I decided to steer away from printing actual cards and am going to get it programmed as a digital tool people can use on their laptops.
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

For anyone interested in printing their own cards like this, I can't recommend http://www.thegamecrafter.com/ enough! They do print-on-demand board games and produce pretty high quality poker-sized cards with whatever art you'd like on them. If you only order them for yourself you get them pretty close to at-cost.

I see lots of superuseful links in here and I'd love to start trying some, like the trading cards one right abode.

I have a little experience printing stuff (I print the Wayfinder fanzine ), so if anyone needs some advice/help/whatever I'm at your service. I also have some nifty laser printers, plotters and laser cutters all around me in case anyone needed some printed stuff, but shipping costs outside Mexico pretty much nullify the good cost I coudl give you, this is more on the FYI side

On the physical publishing thing. I have a tiny problem, I live in México (I'm mexican). This poses no problem on my electronic freelancing (illustration/cartography) but makes it kinda hard on the non-pdf publishing side. I've lived my whole life around print shops and I do love 200% a printed product over an electronic one, so when I jump into printed material I will face a very "high" (expensive!) wall to sort out when that time comes. If anyone knows of a cheap international shipping service other than regular mail, I'd be eternally grateful.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Cubicle7 seems to be a good alternative. That's the direction Steve Russell and Rite have gone for printed books in stores. They deal with all the printing, shipping and distributing and they take 100% of the profit for a finite number of sales after which it's a profit share. In return they take all of the risk that if a product doesn't sell they lose money from holding unsold stock. They seem to have good distribution deals with game stores across the UK and US (they're based out of Oxford, England)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Cubicle7 seems to be a good alternative. That's the direction Steve Russell and Rite have gone for printed books in stores. They deal with all the printing, shipping and distributing and they take 100% of the profit for a finite number of sales after which it's a profit share. In return they take all of the risk that if a product doesn't sell they lose money from holding unsold stock. They seem to have good distribution deals with game stores across the UK and US (they're based out of Oxford, England)

I noticed the latest products of Steve beign "Cubicle 7" products and then becoming RP products, I suppose this is how they deal work. SOunds ineresting, and if Steve's using it, then it must be good.
    Last edited by Hugo Solis; 09-30-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Yeah, I find it weird. Looking at just the PDF versions of Kaidan: the Curse of the Golden Spear campaign - it's marketed as Rite Publishing. However, the print versions are marketed as Cubicle 7 - even though C7, RiP and Kaidan all have logos on the books.

So next we are releasing a long series of supplements for Kaidan, as in In the Company... series for PC race books, then Way of the ... series for faction books - yakuza, samurai, shinobi, etc., then we have a number of #30 series books, like #30 Ancestral Relics (legacy items) and #30 Haunts for Kaidan. These are all marketed exclusively as Rite products. But eventually all or most of these will be placed in its own hardbound campaign setting book, then it will be Cubicle 7 product for that...
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123