Thread: Thank You Cartographer's Guild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Actually, it's a combination of gimp and inkscape. Essentially, I use gimp to make the coastline, put down an airbrushed layer of black along the coastline in a lower layer, then fill in below that with the ocean pattern. Then I save it as a .png and import it into Inkscape. Once that's done I do a bitmap trace and then simplify the whole thing. That's pretty much it.

Also, I decided to re-jigger the map a bit because I needed to use thinner line strokes for the land features, which looked really wonky with the thick lines used for the coast and sea.

Made changes to the pattern that makes up the sea feature, added the Gam Jo River and started penning in the Tallwall Mountains.
    Last edited by helium3; 10-09-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Added in the rest of the Tallwall mountains. My next task is to figure out how to shade them and fill them with color in a way that matches the style of the rest of the map.

I also need to work on that lake, since it doesn't match the ocean for some reason.

I would keep the lake like the river, concentric lines rather than horizontal lines.

-Rob A>

I'll try that and see how it turns out.

Looking great!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Wip

Changed how the lake looks and added shading to the mountains. I'm still not sold on the river, but I think I just need to do the lines a few times until I get one that I like.