One nice feature of the original map is the shading implying slope. This was the hardest thing to get right (and even so, I can't get the same slopes shown in the original). It's simple in theory: we can calculate the slope from the height field, take the dot product with a "light" vector, and shade (with blend type "Darken"):
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamaicaPrentice05.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	24690
Alas! The slopes in the mountains (in the east) are so high that there are very few slopes anywhere else. In order to show the slopes elsewhere, I change the shading to depend on the square root of the slope; this means that much smaller slopes will still be dark-ish:

Name:	jamaicaPrentice06.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	24691
The spatial scale is still too small, though. A Gaussian blur will take care of that:

Name:	jamaicaPrentice07.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	24692
So close, but too dark! I drop the opacity to 0.75 and cut back the darkest colour shown to be about 60% grey to get:

Name:	jamaicaPrentice08.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	24693
which is very nice (but, like I said, doesn't remotely match the shading on the original). The underlying grid is a little too visible, but I'll leave that for another day (as it's not too bad at this scale).

We add back in the vector elements to get a pretty good recreation of the original map:

Name:	jamaicaPrentice09.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	24694