Thread: March/April Entry: Djöpúr-Garđyrr - Withdrawn

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@gorkamorka - No need to be sorry about being picky. In fact, now that I know you speak Icelandic, I may be hitting you up for advice. I will admit that I am, indeed, butchering the language, though it is a butchering based off of an Old Norse to English dictionary I found some time back. It's probably not complete, as there are several common words that seem to be missing, or, at least words I would assume to be common. In an effort not to blatantly (and poorly) re-create the language as it once was, I shift phonetics around a bit to get things closer to how I imagine the sound in terms of the fictional world. So, tilt is also correct in that I am deriving a language from what I have. I probably should have mentioned that to begin with, as I did with the Lokasenna map from last month's challenge. In any event, thanks for the input, as it is most helpful and will probably lead me to a slight name change.

As for how I came up with the name . . . and again, this is based off of the dictionary I have as compiled by Ross G. Arthur in 2002 . . .

Djupr (deep) Gardr (fence) Dyrr (door or doorway). I'd have used gate, instead, but there was no listing for that word, so I got as close as I could by combining the words for fence and door

Anyhootie . . . I'm going to be re-fabricating this map a bit to make room for a more isometric view. I played with the camera settings and, by the time I managed to get away from the inverted perception problem, about half the cavern floor was hidden behind other terrain. I'm thinking I might cut out the southern wall of the cavern and that should give me a bit more room to play with. Will have to see what happens.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-24-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges