Thread: The start of and In-Depth Endeavor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip The start of an In-Depth Endeavor

I've been messing around with a novel (and planned series) for a few years and didn't get too far (not even done the first quarter of the book!). I realized last summer that I really need to get more serious with it, so I decided to scrap my few hundred pages and start again. Now I'm beginning with this map of the continent, after which I will continue designing the languages. I plan to fully explore every region, species, history, and possibility of this land in my notes, if not in the series itself, and since it all begins with this map, the map had better be good!

I think that the waves are looking too edgy, not soft or transparent enough, so I'll work in that.
    The mountains are not yet properly scaled, I need to go in with a harder and denser brush to make the little "fractal" arms which one usually sees shooting of of ridges like I have.
    The rivers I've done represent only the most major ones, so when I get into more local mapping, I'll elaborate.
    The forests are a bit sketchy here, since I can't seem to find how to represent trees from such a hight... Textures don't work...

If you have critique, PLEASE BE HARSH! I am a very honest and blunt offerer-of-thoughts and I hope others are the same with me! I've followed numerous fantastic tutorials around here and I also used some of coyotemax's stuff that he put on DeviantART (I think). I don't remember who it was that I got the layer style and brush that I used for "dirtying up" the mountains, but I appreciate it!

This rambling has gone on long enough, so let the map-bashing begin!

EDIT: The thread title should say "The start of an In-Depth Endeavour" Sorry for the confusing title =/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the stand map (CG&#.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	23260  
    Last edited by SkarValidus; 04-04-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    I'm new here. Don't kill me, please!.