• Iwaizumi - Redrobes

4 9.52%
  • Iwaizumi - Sapiento

6 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** March '10 Challenge Voting Take 2 - The Town of Iwaizumi ***

Guild Journeyer

Djekspek got my vote because the map just managed to capture my imagination and when I think to myself "I can use this in a campaign" is always a great sign for me.

Except you're supposed to vote for two maps!

Don't worry, you're not alone, but people don't seem to be reading the voting criteria.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Eye candy almost always wins out over reading stuff
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Don't worry, you're not alone, but people don't seem to be reading the voting criteria.
    Happens nearly every month...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I think this month is interesting tho as we have a publisher who has to include this map and will choose independently from the vote - or at least I hope its independent cos that's why I entered this month.

The two leaders are very close this month and I didn't feel like being a decider (being an entrant too). I also thought Ravs map had some neat new ideas in it. But I voted for the two newcomers to the challenge cos I am glad they are submitting something. The challenge has been tough to win now for just ages so you gotta be in it for the love of it really. So kudos to all who took part. The winner is still very much up for grabs even at this late stage so it will be an interesting finish !

Guild Novice

This was a really tough vote -- all the entries had something to recommend them, and I was thrilled to see how well everyone evoked an isolated Japanese town in which something awful is happening.

Thanks for the great work!

We had a tie, back in Dec '08 Challenge, so its not unprecedented and two golden compasses were awarded. Of course this month, there is the publication award which is separate from the public vote. Still another day (or two) of voting to go, so nothing is locked in stone yet. I am glad that everyone has gotten at least two votes. In some of our past challenges there were those who got no votes - which is never fun for entrants, so this voting session is better for all, IMO.

For those who have yet to enter a challenge, consider this, while one may not win a given challenge, there is no better way to learn to map than participating. The fact that there's a limited time to create the map in following a specific theme or rules is very much like getting a commission from a publisher in working for a deadline. I know that I make better maps now because of challenge participation. After three such challenges, I got my first professional commission and have since created over 30 maps for various publishers (and got paid for it!)

So don't limit yourself to just voting. Get involved, you won't regret the experience gained and it may lead to a side career as a professional cartographer, which is just fun to earn money from something you love. Most people don't get paid for doing what they love, but we cartographers do!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well said, GP and I agree whole-heartedly.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice job guys. I looked at this strictly from what would suck me in quickest if I was going to GM the game. There were several that I liked but I could pick two (at least I think I got to - I may have missed the time cut off).

I chose Dj's and RR.

A couple that I did not choose on and what I liked/why I did not choose them:

1) Najmir - I loved the colors used and from the thumbnails it was first to catch my eye but once I clicked on it there just wasn't enough detail for me.
    2) Immolate - I thought this was an excellent map however while I liked the look of the labels I found them hard to read. I could see myself quickly having to redo all the numbers to be legible for me as a GM. I'm not sure what it would look like if the print had been less stylized and maybe it's just a product of my being frustrated by less than stellar vision but in the end it bugged me too much.

I just noticed that the two maps I did choose both have the labels on the locations so I don't have to go look up a table. I guess it's personal preference but I prefer to be "in the map" when I'm leading an adventure and having to bounce out to a table to see where I am breaks up the flow of my imagination. Evidently that had a lot to do with my selections and I only just now realized it.

Keep up the great work guys, they are all worthy works and as of yet I don't think I can compete with the quality.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

edit: If my vote counts and it turns out it was a tie breaking vote, I just want to say that I'm real glad I was not aware of this beforehand. I probably would have abstained...it's the pressure of it I guess

I always try not to read other peoples views on the voting until after I have cast my own because I don't want to be swayed by someone else's opinion. So, if I did create a tie breaker, either blame someone who voted before me , or be glad I came along. At the very least, please don't hate me GP!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast