Thread: Dwarven City - Dunderhelm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks,

the contour lines are supposed to represent a general rise or slope.

Quote Originally Posted by rwaluchow View Post
    the contour lines are supposed to represent a general rise or slope.
    It's a beautiful map. I can't really pull of the hand drawn look. I would point out that your contours might not be exactly where you want them.

<!-- Excuse me while I get on my soap box.
    This is only because I'm a drafter by trade and stare at civil plans all day. Most contours are given in 20foot or 5meter (16.8 something feet) increments. So... Looking at your picture, the citadel is about 40 feet below the eastern wall. I'm guessing that the dwarves would be more than a little miffed if the high ground was NOT their citadel. So... they would probably want to revise the hillside around the area to look more like Figure 1. Essentially they would want to carve out a section of the hillside an make it flat. But that still doesn't completely remove the strategic faux pas with not so far away hillside. Which makes me think, would dwarven architects really be content with their city not being easily defensible? Being the people they are I would think they would want to be in the mountain somewhere (not to mention the booty in the mountain) or on top of the mountains. See Figure2. Elevating the city to a point that the nearest point of similar elevation in the hill side is more than a city's length away would probably be far enough to negate any advantage a trebuchet or catapult would gain by being on higher ground.
    <!-- Take it for advice, not criticism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	figure1.jpeg..png 
Views:	137 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	23399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	figure2.jpeg..png 
Views:	188 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	23400  
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."