Thread: April Challenge Entry - Muggeria

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound mean. Prior to the announcement of this challenge, he did place this in the Map Request Forum. I showed some interest visited his site, as its always worth some research to see what a potential client is looking for. The artists and writers he's gathering seems to be intent on creating a viable fantasy world for his would be beer afficionado to explore and find interesting brews for his product. It didn't look to imply any kind of tongue and cheek humor, rather a serious work.

Being a brewmaster needs a fantasy world map, I can see Zar Peter's intent, as this is quite an unusual request compared to what a typical fantasy author or RPG publisher would require. If anything, this was a critique, being quite early in the challenge that maybe ZP could have a better chance to win the challenge and get a paid commission if he took the idea more seriously.

If ZP takes offense, I apologize, is not my intent to insult, rather offer some constructive criticism. If this is the map he wants to create, good luck - it looks fun, but may not be the best direction to take. And I'd hate to see this setting a precedent for other entries for the challenge (all shooting for tongue and cheek beer humor) as I am certain that is not what the publisher wants, based on descriptions and intentions as mentioned on his blog site.

Here's a link to that site, to help others decide on the tact to work with on such a project...
    http://fantasy-brewmasters.deviantar...blog/31225463/

I don't mean to put words in the publishers mouth, but just check out the site to help in decisions for the kind of map to develop. Please don't take offense - it was meant as an honest critique only.

GP

PS: its difficult to imply "tone" in written forum responses, and I can see how what my first post might have sounded overly negative, but I did try to say in that post I was not trying to do that.

PPS: I think my advice mainly is directed towards a paid commission, rather than just as a challenge entry. As a challenge entry the map is fine and worthy direction to go, I suppose.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-06-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations