LoL, the colors are used more to separate each district. And the reason for the open spaces is because I did it all in vector art, hind site being 20/20 and knowing now what I do about using vector art I should have convert a number of stock buildings to bit maps instead of repeating vector shapes. Even today with a good machine cable of running high graphics my original vector map is a beast for it to handle. It can take up to 2-3 minutes for the screen to refresh when I add or remove something in it. As I look at some of the many well done maps around here I can see a lot of changes that need to be and will be made. Just trying to figure out what program(s) I should use. And at the same time make sure its a program that's not going to have my wife hang me from the wall over the price. Getting PS and learning it seems the best option considering if I do get back into making T-shirt designs again, its a useful skill to have, but the price is rather steppe. One i would be willing to spend but it would never pass the wife test. lol. Thinking CC3 might be a good option, not to pricey and the maps created from in look good. But, haven't been able to find a demo version of it to see if I like it before I buy it. Again wife test applies.
As I redo my map, the City-State and the continent of Asil map I'll take another look at the northern most lake and the two rivers that emerge from it. The split in the main river that that runs north to south on the Asil map at the Magi Tower at Shrl Nelanos is magically created. The Magi Tower is a huge waterworks tower that was created to change the flow of the river almost 1500 years ago after a great battle between to powerful evils, destroyed the Plains of Vif, turning the once lush and full of life grasslands into a useless wasteland. The Magi tower diverts part of the river towards the plains, filling in the blast area that is now a lake and using a fissure that the original blast caused to allow the river to continue its flow into the bay at Port Stratclaw. This was done so the plains could be reborn and allow the people to resettle the area.
Hopefully in the near future I'll have some revised maps to display.
Thanks for you replies.