Thread: My Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

LOL, Thanks. They are from a $10 vector art clipart disc I bought years ago at Office Max. I had several hundred little coats-of-arms. And to be honest I don't even know if the disc made our move to Las Vegas, last year. Makes me sad thinking about it. No I must go dig through unpacked boxes in the garage and see if I can find it.
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Love the colors, although I try for a bit more realism in my pieces ^.^ Your maps are really unique and those colors do help the eye separate the districts. You should check out GIMP - it's a free alternative to Photoshop; Inkscape is the free alternative to Illustrator. I haven't used GIMP much but there are some excellent tutorials available both here and around the 'net. When you do rework this, you might want to consider roughening up the edges of forests and coastlines, unless you're going for a smoother look - it's up to you really ^.^ The one thing I'd definitely fix is the ocean on the world map - it's pretty distracting from the landmasses, which are great by the way. The background/border element on the world map is also a bit overwhelming - the orange is fine, since it contrasts the oceans' blue, but you might want to dial it down and possible blur the cloudy affect a bit more to lighten it all up. Another option would be to use a color in the same color family as the ocean color, but not a blue - that way the border would stand out but not overwhelm anything.

Great job, though - I love the world map (those coat-of-arms images do wonders), and they're all easy to read which is great. Keep it up ^.^ Can't wait to see this re-worked.