Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop 7 - Overworld Map Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah I'm using Gimp as well but I don't know it well enough to duplicate everything here so I wound up just tearing off after a bit and ending up with something else.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I have been playing around with this in GIMP... all I can say is I don't know GIMP and that makes things harder. I was able to find some Script-Fu scripts for layer effects that work okay but are not dynamic... you have to apply them to the layer after you finish drawing in the elements... that makes it very hard to edit on the fly. I only tested the mountain effect and was mostly successful but using the smear tool to edit and shape is not possible the way GIMP applies the effects. I will have to defer making this work in GIMP to someone who knows it better. I am sure it can work but you would need to know the final settings for the Script-Fu effects and have the layers drawn before applying them.

This is what I got... I just used one of the standard GIMP grunge brushes set to 50% opacity and similar settings to the bevel and emboss found in my .PSD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OMP_GIMP_Test1..jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	24091

The Script-Fu Layer Effects Website

-RPGMM
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

RPGmapmaker - this tutorial has been invaluable in my efforts to learn overland mapping thus far! Consider yourself repped.

Awesome style, exelent tutorial.

I'm enjoying making my map.

Good work!

Amazing! Congratulations for this tutorial!

Salut,
    Josep

Something I've found that works, with mountain formation, while I've been dinking around and modifying your own methods to some of my own (your method for mountains is way simpler than what mine was, mine was a sort of clone stamp process, but not as eloquent as some of the others in tutorials.) The erase tool set to a spatter brush at around 45 pixels, give or take per needs, put to flow and opacity 100% can be used to modify the mountain body itself, after your click method, to work possible valleys, passes, and some other terrain features. Basically painting back in the 'flats' before adding in the high and lowlands. I've also found a basic airbrush blur at Normal and 50% strength can help in soft tweaking some of the peak lines in the middle as well as along the click texture. As you can see here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain tweaks.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	50995

It's subtle, and as you can also see I've been fingerpainting with the high and lowlands to make some tests with passes (need to narrow them canyons m'self) and a bit of a basin that will likely be turned into a desert. I use a Wacom tablet more than raw mouse, so that would have some added difference to it as well, so that changes the texture as well, and I've been experimenting with both mouse and tablet. But thought some folks might find this little example of what I've been discovering helpful in addition to the plethora of work RPGmaker has done.