Honestly,

This will only ever come up if you plan to print out your maps. The whole PPI vs DPI point is moot if you are just using your maps for a VTT.

A better thing to think of is pixel resolution. While you are dealing with a VTT, it is helpful to remember that you are basically rendering your images just like you would for a web page. There are several things to keep in mind:

1) Download/transfer times. Like it not, you are transfering your map to another client/player. While you may appreciate the 200 "DPI" image, the long downloading time on the client end will absolutely impact play. With some VTTs, this can lead to errors, especially if there is functionality built into the VTT for use with maps. (Fog of war etc.)

2) Designing any form of graphics at 200 PPI (or DPI if you prefer) is really a waste while on a monitor. You will have users with high end cards using a maximum of 92 PPI with those images, so you are wasting filesizes.

3) File format. This is a biggie. Some people swear by JPEG, others by GIF, others by PNG or BMP. In the end, it all comes down to what you are doing with the image. I prefer using JPEG with my maps, as it keeps the filesizes down. You will hear people say that this downgrades the image blah blah... which is true if you do not know what you are doing. As long as you are finished with an image, make it into a JPEG with as low as compression you can stand before the image degrades (*Imageready is a good program for this), and you now have a filesize that is 20% of what you started. For tokens, PNG is the way to go **if** there is any element of the token that needs to be transparent. If you can keep your token square, then it is better to use the JPEG format. If your token only has 256 colors, then GIF is a better option.

It is useful to look up the various file formats and see what is right. Better yet, look up tutorials on designing graphics for the web and you will set your mind straight on what needs to be done.

I hope that helps, and if there is any questions, hollar at my PM box, and I will try and help you all out.

Sandeman