Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lands of Todes Grube - remapping

About done with this, just need to add the city icons and clean up the labels and I think I'll stop tinkering with it.

Here's a quick update showing the map without the labels and cities.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todesgrube6_300..jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	24009  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like the second crest better.

Overall, I love this map, coming along very nicely!!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Ok, I think I'm about 95% sure I'm finished with this one. If anything does change it'll be the crests and/or the compass rose decoration. My one only regret on this map are the hills, if I had the time/desire I'd go back and change all of them, but at this point I've put enough hours into the map and the friend I made it for is happy with it.

I'm not 100% sure I like the compass rose decoration, but with all the information on the bottom of the map, the top needed something to balance out.

Thanks for all the input and thanks to the great tutorials on the site.

-boslok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todesgrube6_300.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	24243  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I think the compass rose is fine. It's balancing out the rest of the map without being too whelming.

I can't help but notice the shape of the land - after staring at the thumbnail for a few minutes I realized it's a similar shape to my Darklands map, though yours is more scrunched vertically (which is actually something I've been meaning to do while redrawing that one...) You beat me to it!

One minor suggestion - some of the white text is blending into the background and a bit hard to make out in a few places - New Riverton stands out the most (least?) with this issue. Some of the location markers are also having the same issue to my eye as well, maybe a light stroke to help them stand out?

That having been said, I love the map as a whole - it was a bit of an inspiration for me while working on my own current map, in relation to the mountain style (they don't look all that similar as a final product, but yours was the map in my mind's eye while I was detailing the last stage of the mountains )

(oh, and I think the maze lands are brilliantly done)
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 04-29-2010 at 06:10 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks Coyotemax for the compliments and critiques. Of course I had to go check out your map of the Shadowlands after you mentioning it, and I do see the resemblance. You have a very impressive set of maps.

Your right of course about the location labels, I've been fighting with those the entirety of making this map. I think its the price you pay with a full color map as opposed to a muted or monochromatic color scheme. I think I might tone everything down a little and experiment with the stroke, as your suggesting.

-boslok

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's beautiful work, man. The whole thing just balances itself so nicely without being unrealistic as far as terrain etc. are concerned.

Question: What's with that one lonely little hill up in the Great Bright?

Oh, and repped!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great style! That looks really nice. Have some rep

Thanks Diamond, Gidde and Sapieto.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Question: What's with that one lonely little hill up in the Great Bright?
    I don't know! We've not adventured there or heard any stories about it. I redid this map as a favor for my GM it's his world and some of its secrets are yet to be revealed. My character and the others inhabit Sinister Keep and use the city of Todes Grube as our main hub. We're currently delving into Rappan Athuk (excellent & fun Necromancer Games module) fighting the inhabitants and outside leeches that hope to profit from our hard dungeon clearing work.
    Last edited by Boslok; 04-29-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: corrections

Beautiful work there. I agree with some of the white labels being hard to see but if you could put a shadow behind them it might help. Anyway, this is a great map thank you so much for sharing it with us. Repped!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast