Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North-West of Estalia

Hi, Dimbel, & welcome! I really like waht you have so far--but then, hand drawn is my favorite, "warts" and all.

I think Torq & others have zeroed in on problem #1: fix the colors. If you scan this in to Photoshop or GIMP, this is amazingly easy. I would suggest you eliminate all white, and color over the other colors. I think you'll be amazed at how much this improves your already nice map!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome to the guild. Hope to see some fine stuff from you in the future.

I would say the Warhammer map is definitely originally Done in CC2 or CC3, and then manipulated after.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Do you have any advice how to fix the colours?
    I'm using gimp and I have a little pain getting it right...

Quote Originally Posted by dimbel View Post
    Do you have any advice how to fix the colours?
    I'm using gimp and I have a little pain getting it right...
    First go to the Colours->Levels and pick Auto. This will make the blacks black and the whites white.

Then use the Colours->hue/lightness/saturation on all colours to boost them (crank up the saturation). You can also pick an individual colour channel and shift the hue, i.e. make the cyan water more blue.

Edit-Attached is a sample. Here I duplicated the layer and set it to multiply, to "punch" the colours a bit more, just as an example.

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 10-15-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added sample

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I've been playing around with the curves a little, which gave a similiar result, yours is better though.

I'll try to color properly by hand as I lacked blotting paper at that moment of the drawing...

Yeah - curves can do everything the levels dialog does, and more. (Most people get scared by the curves dialog, and don't understand the way it works, so I usually suggest that they start with the simpler levels dialog )

-Rob A>

Wip

It's a nice map, particularly if you drew it in 1.5 hours. I particularly like your coastlines and the patch of mountains in the middle of the big forest.

I'm not such a big fan of the cliffs/hills or whatever they are. It's not real clear from an initial viewing exactly what they are. So, I'd think about adding some detail to those that might make what they're depicting more obvious.

Those professional Estelia maps may or may not have been done in Campaign Cartographer, but they certainly weren't hand drawn. If you look at the features carefully, you'll see that they're basically copies of the same object.

Those "cliffs" should actually be hills, but that's a valid point...it's not clear enough what they are. I'll work something out, thx!

I think the problem with the hills (now that I know that's what they are) is that the shading on them is too dark. Lighten the shade a bit and maybe give a sense of roundness to it and they'll look more like hills and less like cliffs.

I agree with Helium3 about the shading of the hill. Also, the way that the shading was done makes them look flat. If done the way that the Pete Fenlon Maps, or the other ones that were posted here, the hills should have a curve to their base to give them a sense of depth.

Still, this is a nice start, and for 1.5 hours, it shows that there is some potential to the world that you are creating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12