Hello everybody,
this is a city map i'm drawing for an rpg campaign in the World of Splittermond, we recently started. As the roleplayers here know, sometimes you have to improvise, when the plans for "your" campaign are crossed by the decisions of the players and suddenly you have to pull a new rabbit, or map out of your hat (on the other hand, exactly this is the best part about it, isn't it? ). In this case a dwarven priest in the group who was expelled from his hometown for raising his hand against his cruel stepfather and thereby thrown into the world of adventures heard from a far away city called "Korobrom" the holy city of his God Furbrom (the main god of the dwarfs), a site of pilgrimage for dwarfs from all over the world. Allegedly the dwarfs originate from there and so the city also has a certain cultural or historical value besides the spiritual. So the priest decided to make his "walk to Canossa" to Korobrom, to find guidance and (hopefully) mercy there. Since he could convince the rest of the group to follow him there, i suddenly needed a map of this place...

Some info about the city itself. It's a synopsis of the (rather short) description in the Splittermond-sourcebook
Korobrom is the Capital of the Borombri Kingdom, a dwarven nation on an archipelago of hundreds of islands seperated from the mainland by the "Moonfall", a cataclysmic event a thousand years ago. It's the place of origin of dwarfkind and the centre of the church of Furbrom, the dwarven creator god and deity of volcanoes (yeah, it's always like that ). The "Island King", chosen by an oracle, is at the same time the patriarch of the Furbrom-church, so the character of the city is deeply pious (some say fanatic ) and ascetic. Many monasteries and temples where built around the grand cathedral which is built into the crater of the central (slumbering) volcano on the island.
The other settlements of the Kingdom, like the capital, are built into the rough cliffed islands, partly connected by tunnels or bridges and the whole archipelago is hardly navigable without pilots.

The autor who wrote about the region in the sourcebook wrote in the Splittermond-Forum, that he imagines Korobrom a bit like a dwarven Mont Saint-Michel, which i found a really cool idea. It has a population of ca. 65.000, 99% of them dwarves.

Korobrom_WIP_I.jpg

As you can see, i already worked a bit on this. After all it's my first serious approach of (digital) city-mapping, so i decided to go with a rather simple style for the buildings so far (since there are so much of them and it will be even more!).
Like in other projects before, i found it easier to stay motivated when i make "the second step before the first" and so i already played with colors, fonts and "stuff" without having finished the whole linework. This way, i feel, i can immerse better into the world and thereby be more creative AND logical at the same time regarding the "urban-planning".

At the moment i'm working on the walls of the palace district.

Here is a short translated key to the german labels
Handelshafen = Merchant's Harbour
Pilgerhafen = Pilgrim's Harbour
Muschelhafen = "Mussel" (Fishing) harbour
Kriegshafen = Military Harbour

Lotseninsel = Pilot's Island (My idea was, that the pilots in Korobrom are organised in a sort of spiritual order, as they see the piloting of ships to the sacred capital also as a spiritual/pastoral work. They have a lot of power and influence in the city... )
Palast = Palace
Kloster = Monastery
Pilgerstieg = Pilgrim's Stairs/Trail
Ahnenstadt = "Ancestor's City" / necropolis
Kathedrale = Cathedral
Hammerwerke = Ironworks
Ewige Grube = "eternal pit" deep strip mine
Admiralität = well... admiralty

Gromotok, Stichlingen, Gronden, Fatargonia and Bromdal are names of the different quarters, Some more might follow...

Since Splittermond is a fairly new german pen&paper Rpg settled in a rather massive world, there isn't much "map-material" out there, besides the fantastic official world maps of Lorakis by Sapiento (you can find Korobrom at the northern coast of the "Kristallsee") and so there is much room to produce some "fan-made" maps for the game (yay! ). I think i will also post this map on the Splittermond forum, to get some more input about the worldbuilding aspects of it.

As i said, it's my first big city-map project, so all kind of critique comments and suggestions are (as always) welcome!

Cheers,
AL