Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Korobrom - The cradle of Dwarfkind

Default Korobrom - The cradle of Dwarfkind

Hello everybody,
    this is a city map i'm drawing for an rpg campaign in the World of Splittermond, we recently started. As the roleplayers here know, sometimes you have to improvise, when the plans for "your" campaign are crossed by the decisions of the players and suddenly you have to pull a new rabbit, or map out of your hat (on the other hand, exactly this is the best part about it, isn't it? ). In this case a dwarven priest in the group who was expelled from his hometown for raising his hand against his cruel stepfather and thereby thrown into the world of adventures heard from a far away city called "Korobrom" the holy city of his God Furbrom (the main god of the dwarfs), a site of pilgrimage for dwarfs from all over the world. Allegedly the dwarfs originate from there and so the city also has a certain cultural or historical value besides the spiritual. So the priest decided to make his "walk to Canossa" to Korobrom, to find guidance and (hopefully) mercy there. Since he could convince the rest of the group to follow him there, i suddenly needed a map of this place...

Some info about the city itself. It's a synopsis of the (rather short) description in the Splittermond-sourcebook
    Korobrom is the Capital of the Borombri Kingdom, a dwarven nation on an archipelago of hundreds of islands seperated from the mainland by the "Moonfall", a cataclysmic event a thousand years ago. It's the place of origin of dwarfkind and the centre of the church of Furbrom, the dwarven creator god and deity of volcanoes (yeah, it's always like that ). The "Island King", chosen by an oracle, is at the same time the patriarch of the Furbrom-church, so the character of the city is deeply pious (some say fanatic ) and ascetic. Many monasteries and temples where built around the grand cathedral which is built into the crater of the central (slumbering) volcano on the island.
    The other settlements of the Kingdom, like the capital, are built into the rough cliffed islands, partly connected by tunnels or bridges and the whole archipelago is hardly navigable without pilots.

The autor who wrote about the region in the sourcebook wrote in the Splittermond-Forum, that he imagines Korobrom a bit like a dwarven Mont Saint-Michel, which i found a really cool idea. It has a population of ca. 65.000, 99% of them dwarves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Korobrom_WIP_I.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	7.63 MB 
ID:	84568

As you can see, i already worked a bit on this. After all it's my first serious approach of (digital) city-mapping, so i decided to go with a rather simple style for the buildings so far (since there are so much of them and it will be even more!).
    Like in other projects before, i found it easier to stay motivated when i make "the second step before the first" and so i already played with colors, fonts and "stuff" without having finished the whole linework. This way, i feel, i can immerse better into the world and thereby be more creative AND logical at the same time regarding the "urban-planning".

At the moment i'm working on the walls of the palace district.

Here is a short translated key to the german labels
    Handelshafen = Merchant's Harbour
    Pilgerhafen = Pilgrim's Harbour
    Muschelhafen = "Mussel" (Fishing) harbour
    Kriegshafen = Military Harbour

Lotseninsel = Pilot's Island (My idea was, that the pilots in Korobrom are organised in a sort of spiritual order, as they see the piloting of ships to the sacred capital also as a spiritual/pastoral work. They have a lot of power and influence in the city... )
    Palast = Palace
    Kloster = Monastery
    Pilgerstieg = Pilgrim's Stairs/Trail
    Ahnenstadt = "Ancestor's City" / necropolis
    Kathedrale = Cathedral
    Hammerwerke = Ironworks
    Ewige Grube = "eternal pit" deep strip mine
    Admiralität = well... admiralty

Gromotok, Stichlingen, Gronden, Fatargonia and Bromdal are names of the different quarters, Some more might follow...

Since Splittermond is a fairly new german pen&paper Rpg settled in a rather massive world, there isn't much "map-material" out there, besides the fantastic official world maps of Lorakis by Sapiento (you can find Korobrom at the northern coast of the "Kristallsee") and so there is much room to produce some "fan-made" maps for the game (yay! ). I think i will also post this map on the Splittermond forum, to get some more input about the worldbuilding aspects of it.

As i said, it's my first big city-map project, so all kind of critique comments and suggestions are (as always) welcome!

Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ambitious! And awesome looking so far. I like how you handled the different elevations/heights on the islands - that looks cool. And nice color scheme and font choice.

Many thanks Diamond. Haha, yeah it's a bit ambitious, but hey what can you do if your players decide they want to play next in a city with 60k inhabitants... oO For the elevations, i worked with that wonderful contour line script for gimp again (also to find a nice island shape from random clouds/heightmaps in the first place). The font (Possum Saltare) was the most "dwarfish" i had, glad you like it.
    Map is not territory...

That's a pretty big city! At first I thought it was a regional map. I love what you have so far.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Oh wow Abu...this will take some time and nerves but it is already looking amazing! Cant wait to see it develop. Love seeing your work
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Thanks Josiah, yeah in fact it's a "hybrid". If i find the time (and nerves) there will be little villages on the other islands too...

Thanks a lot Barek, always appreciated!
    Map is not territory...

Wow, this is going to be epic in every sense of the word!! It's looking glorious so far. I love your colouring and the linework is fantastic.

Can you say some more about this gimp script or share a link? I don't recall hearing of it before and I'm always interested to know about a new trick!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Wow, this is going to be epic in every sense of the word!! It's looking glorious so far. I love your colouring and the linework is fantastic.

Can you say some more about this gimp script or share a link? I don't recall hearing of it before and I'm always interested to know about a new trick!
    I guess he means this one.

Hey Chickpea, thank you for the nice feedback! It's a gimp plugin made by Zach. I used it already in my (unfinished) Mon Calamari map for the Star-Wars Challenge and another map i made some time ago that i haven't uploaded yet. I used it to make those plain contour lines (which are great!). But since i haven't the slightest idea about scripting, i had to make some working steps manually. The plug in works on the basis of selections "by color" (i guess), but after stroking the selections it doesn't save those selections. That means i had to manually select every single strata again to manipulate it later on, to color them differently, stroking it again for lights to make it look more plastic, etc. The creator Zach seems not to be active here anymore to ask him, but i bet it wouldn't be to hard to implement such things into the plug in (but again, maybe i'm wrong here because i'm a total noob with these things ). Anyway, it's totally worth playing around with this thing.

Edit: Oh Ninja Attack! Yeah that's the one
    Map is not territory...

Ah, thanks for the info. A new toy to play with!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast