Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Worth the effort John, the most spectacular fields i've seen so far on a map! Great to see you picking Haerlech up again.
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 11-07-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Abu.
    More fields. I think I'm done with the northern fields.
    So on to the southern fields.
    Haerlech 03e_005 by sirinkman.jpg

You should get a "Master of Crops" badge or something after this! The variety of different fields is really amazing. But, when you're going for such an amount of detail with the fields, what's the plan for the city's buildings regarding this?
    Map is not territory...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

I was almost 30 minutes looking at this map, my brain can't absorb that much details.
    Beautiful work J.Edward, really beautiful.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    You should get a "Master of Crops" badge or something after this! The variety of different fields is really amazing. But, when you're going for such an amount of detail with the fields, what's the plan for the city's buildings regarding this?
    Oh Abu, are you making the evil suggestion that I do a whole bunch of roof detail to match the fields?
    Because I thought about that.... I've tried it a few times and it never looks good. But it still seems like I should.
    Of course that would take - forever. My hands would wither and fall off. The horror.

Master of Crops. I like that. So long as they don't misspell it. I would hate to be the Master of Craps.

Thanks Joaodafi. When it's done there will be even more.
    I never imagined this thing would become what it is now, what it's going to be.

Yeah sorry, it seems like an evil suggestion indeed, was just thinking about the fantstic roofs you made on other of your town/city maps. I'm always a bit too fast with suggesting things, without thinking about the consequences... In the end, the story of your astonishing cartography career should not be titled: "From Bourmout to burnout"
    Take care,
    AL
    Map is not territory...

By J. Edward
    Oh Abu, are you making the evil suggestion that I do a whole bunch of roof detail to match the fields?
    Because I thought about that.... I've tried it a few times and it never looks good. But it still seems like I should.
    Of course that would take - forever. My hands would wither and fall off. The horror.
    A similar level of details on the roofs would be awesome, but I fully understand it would take a lot of time of effort! You've done so much already.
    As incredible as it is, you keep turning this map in a true work of art!

Bourmout to burnout - that's good.
    Well, I can't do the level of detail like those maps. I just don't have the pixels.
    I am trying some stuff today but it required me to enlarge the map which is not ideal.
    I want to get some sort of detail in there but before enlarging I was down to a 1 pixel brush and that still looked wrong.
    We'll see what I can work out. If I hadn't built a new computer recently this wouldn't even be possible.

Oh dear god, this was a bad decision. So many f#%king roofs.
    Last night and all of today and only a third of the roofs are done.

I resized/enlarged the entire map, which pushed it over 1 GB file size, but I then had enough pixel res to do something more with the roofs.
    Even the simple roof style I'm doing is taking forever.... and those fields aren't going to paint themselves.
    Well, now I am going to be saying 'hopefully I finish this while it's still 2015' but I can't say that with certainty.
    This process feels like masochistic torture. What's wrong with me? Why am I doing this to myself?
    I asked myself that about an hour ago. Well, it's already too late to stop.
    Here's a crop of the northern area with new roofs. This will likely lead to me having to edit the fields some.
    Haerlech 03f 002 crop.jpg

woops, missed a few roofs in there. Back to it.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-08-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Oh no! Sorry you're having such a hard time. I get that same masochistic feeling sometimes, when you starting questioning why you're even doing this.

If it's any consolation at all, it looks utterly fantastic!

One day you'll look back and be happy you put in the effort. 'Course, that might be five years down the line, but hey, it'll be worth it!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast