View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

So whats this?

Its a Challenge idea that got a bit too big for its boots and became a Community Project.

Someone suggested that it would be great to map the Guild with all its members and assets as a city, and since this would have been difficult for any individual to do as a 30 day Challenge, J.Edward helped us club together to make a Community Project of it, along similar lines to the Guildworld Community Project - so that we can individually map different sectors of the city, which will then be magically transformed by the wizardry of Redrobes talents into one great big zoomable map.

We're using a beautiful landscape, and an organically divided district pattern prepared for us by J.Edward, who has patiently listened to all our ideas and somehow managed to make something wonderful from it all.

If you want to see the basic information, J.Edward's master plan, and the list of available areas (the Main Index in other words) you can view it here

Anyone wanting to join in and actually map a District themselves can do so by making their preference clear on this thread here, after looking at the map on the Main Index page to check and see that the District has not already been taken.

As far as I am aware there are 58 Districts, and 30ish participants, so there should still be a few plots available that haven't already been taken

Two questions:

I see that some of the wall section run exactly over some of the district borders (see e.g. district 29 and 26). When looking at districts this makes sense: a wall will generally separate two distinct city neighbourhoods. However, it doesn't seem practical to me if the two sides of a wall has to be mapped by two separate cartographers. I would like to map a city gate. However, as both the walls and roads are running along district borders, the same problem happens there.

Can we make suggestions ourselves for what will be mapped inside the region we are working on? (We will probably need some coordination of course). District 29, for example, is partly outside the city walls, so I am thinking about things like slums, cattle market, circus, perhaps a bazaar in the inside part.

Quote Originally Posted by djan View Post
    Can we make suggestions ourselves for what will be mapped inside the region we are working on? (We will probably need some coordination of course). District 29, for example, is partly outside the city walls, so I am thinking about things like slums, cattle market, circus, perhaps a bazaar in the inside part.
    Very good point. I'm also interested in knowing about this.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

If i understood correctly, the project is in the spirit of the former community worldbuilding projects, so it's showing the diversity of all the influences, styles and ideas of the whole (or a representative part of) the CG. Everyone is mapping it's own district in the way she/he likes, but i think there'll be a common lightsource, so shadows can be somewhat coherent. Btw. welcome to the sout-western parts djan! Now i feel less alone down there.

Edit: Also somewhere in this monstrosity of a thread, i thin John mentioned that it might be a good idea if everyone would stick to a top down view, but for me personally it wouldn't be a problem, if some districts are iso and some top-down, like with the regions on the Guildworld

Edit2: For the part of the city walls, it would be great if they are clearly on one district, otherwise it'll become a bit complicated. From the experience with the last project, it is always helpful to be in contact with the direct neighbous to arrange these things around the "borders"
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 01-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

I have every faith in J.Edward's map (which we have only seen at half size so far, don't forget) to visually resolve many of these points once the Districts are being handed out, but if there are still questions about who does what of each bit of wall/waterfall/waterway etc, there will be new discussion threads started up to deal more specifically with these issues as we progress.

EDIT: you can tell I'm flagging a bit! ninja'd by 2 simultaneously! LOL!

Do you want me to start a new thread called something like "Boundary Discussions"?

EDIT 2: I think I'll take a rain check on creating any more threads right at this very moment (unless John wants to, of course). Its getting quite difficult trying to keep track of all the comments on just two active threads! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Regarding sections - I made enough room around the city so I can always make more districts if need be.

Regarding roads, walls, waters, etc... things on the border line... It will likely need people to talk with their neighbors and work that sort of stuff out.
    I could have made it really specific and all that, but I was trying to make a relatively simple map so people could do as they wanted and not feel like they were being told what to do.

Regarding control of your section - In my opinion, it is up to you, with the exception of the few basic things shown by the map - ie. water, wall, road [sort of[, and elevation [again, sort of].
    My point is... if you have some really creative or clever idea for some way that changes something try it. If you totally break the map and make every one angry with you... ....well, we are all adults, so everyone here knows there are consequences to actions. But mostly they are social. If you decide to make a bright pink and green carnival section with clowns... you won't get kicked out of the guild or anything... but... some people might make dubious comments about.

Just have fun and enjoy the project. That's what these projects are really for - shared enjoyment and mapping fun.

As to the issue of water...here is my thoughts on it.
    I want everyone to be able to map a section that looks for them like a complete map, if they so wish. So if they want to map the water all the way over... so be it.
    I know Redrobes can mask things and change the water, so we may just do that in the end. Just let it progress and well solve it when there is actually a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    If i understood correctly, the project is in the spirit of the former community worldbuilding projects, so it's showing the diversity of all the influences, styles and ideas of the whole (or a representative part of) the CG. Everyone is mapping it's own district in the way she/he likes, but i think there'll be a common lightsource, so shadows can be somewhat coherent. Btw. welcome to the sout-western parts djan! Now i feel less alone down there.

Edit: Also somewhere in this monstrosity of a thread, i thin John mentioned that it might be a good idea if everyone would stick to a top down view, but for me personally it wouldn't be a problem, if some districts are iso and some top-down, like with the regions on the Guildworld

Edit2: For the part of the city walls, it would be great if they are clearly on one district, otherwise it'll become a bit complicated. From the experience with the last project, it is always helpful to be in contact with the direct neighbous to arrange these things around the "borders"
    Yes - i will have a light source for people.

I basically agree, mostly. I would like for people to do top-down. I would look the most consistent.
    But I wouldn't be mad at someone if they did an iso section. But... it has to fit properly into the larger map in the end.
    And if you have buildings crossing over the border... that will be a problem. Things that cross the border will get cut off when Redrobes does the masking and combining for the zoom map.
    So keep that in mind.

As for walls.... I already drew the lines to show 'where' walls were. I guess it is up to the people who will do the walls to work out how they sit and how they connect together.
    This is community in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Falconius - you're right about the possible mismatch, but if there is a set width to the actual cliff (a top edge and a bottom edge) it shouldn't look too bad because the view is top down (unless I've got the wrong end of the stick again)
    You got the right end, that's what I meant.
    That picture is crazy.

So the scale is 1 pixel= 5 foot ?
    That's going to be a really big city.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast