Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: November 2017 Challenge: The Grain Elevator

I'm finding it a bit difficult to read the labels on the map. You have some very intense blue and a rather dark brown, so the black labels are disappearing quite a lot. You could try white labels, or a pale shade of a suitable colour?

I wouldn't like to make a judgement call on the suitability of the text font until its in context - on the background you say you are working on. What I would suggest is that when you pick a font you stick with it all over the map - all text should be that same font. Variations of bold or italic, or size can be used for titles or important messages

That typewriter font, while I agree with Southern Crane that it is quite attractive for this particular map, would limit size and italic variations quite a bit, since it would look really strange to have larger type in some places than others, as if you had used a giant typewriter, then a mummy typewriter, then a baby typewriter If you chose that font try to make it behave as if it really is a typewriter that's typed it - same size all over the map, sometimes bold, sometimes red, sometimes black... which doesn't really help with the labels on the map does it... hmmmm. Maybe make the colours of the map paler and not so intensely blue, in the case of the water?

Away from internet for a few days except phone, so no upload until Thursday.

Current WIP has lighter a background. The labels are numbered for the main map and lettered for the intetior. Currently working in red.

The white background replaced with a genre appropriate red and metalic abstract. Plan on light green text.

Theoretically it should visually echo and tie together...

And yes, aside from title bar, it'll be the same font.

### Latest WIP ###
    zomb map x 1 b.png

Gonna come down to the wire, but getting there...
    Last minute comments, thoughts, feedback please...

### Latest WIP ###
    zomb map Final 1.png

Unless anyone has any feedback in the next couple hours (won't have laptop access tomorrrow), this will likely be the final.

Huge improvement

The red numbers are killing my eyesight, though. They are so extremely bright they are difficult to look at. I understand why you have chosen red, because its in contrast with the map, but the contrast is colour, rather than tone.

How about taking the colour down towards brown just a tiny tiny bit (add black in small quantities - taking the razor sharp edge off that colour), and moving each of them just a bit so that they aren't right on top of the things they are picking out?

Perfect timing!

### Latest WIP ###
    zomb map Final 2.png

Not exactly what you suggested but a quick hack that ought to be better. Will see if I can't get a bit better one in time...

Red is ok now. On the green of the river they are disappearing. Can't think of any other solution except to use a different colour for the numbers on the water? You will have to move number 3, so its not half and half on the light and dark colours...

Alternatively do white numbers with a dark glow. If you do that, however, you really are going to have to move them to the side of the things they reference, or the glow will obliterate the object.

If you don't like having the numbers not smack on top of things, use a short thin pointer stick to indicate things.

Heh - like I said earlier, won't be online w/ the laptop to do anymore updates. That's going to be the final.

I can live with it. Next map for the lite challenge plays off this, so it'll still be useful feedback.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123