Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Challenge: The Grain Elevator

Default November 2017 Challenge: The Grain Elevator

I was casting about for ideas, and thought of something that's actually around here, in a small town in Iowa, that would make a good zombie fortress. Grain elevators (at least the concrete ones) are solid structures with limited entrances and no windows to smash. They're usually in flat areas, often on a river, and pretty tall ( 15 stories).

When Greensburg, Kansas was hit by an F5 tornadothat destroyed 95% of the town. The only major building to survive was the grain elevator. Add in that Iowa is pretty well prepared for the zombie apocalypse (and that's before we start talking about the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Camp and Zombie Burger shops).

So, here's a quick brainstorm sketch:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zom EX 1.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	101000

Planning on basing the actualone on a mash up of locations, and tricking it out quite a bit. One possibility I'm considering is an old brewery complex.
    Last edited by Diamond; 11-10-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Good idea picking that location for a zombie stand off. The reference you used has a lot potential for traps and escape routes to adjacent buildings.
    Last edited by XCali; 11-10-2017 at 12:27 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Another entry that looks like it could be a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Another entry that looks like it could be a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Good idea picking that location for a zombie stand off. The reference you used has a lot potential for traps and escape routes to adjacent buildings.
    And it also goes nicely with the old joke about vegan zombies....

Some of the sketches...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	baileys 1.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	101058

The general vicinity.

Name:	silos b.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	101059

The top of the bins, without the headhouse and gallery.

Name:	silos d.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	101060

The interior of the bins.

I might need to make a little explanation of a couple of terms and the operation of an elevator. Grain arrives, usually by truck, to be dumped in an underground hopper. Conveyer belts move the grain to the equipment that weighs it, cleans it, and raises it to the top. The headhouse, AKA cupola, is the part of the elevator that houses said equipment. It's then dispersed to the bins (silos) by a conveyor system, housed in the gallery. The bins are normally just big hollow towers, 15-20 feet in diameter and 80 to 120 feet high, filled with grain. A couple of floors worth of living space, at least, should be available. When sending it out, the grain can be poured out the bottom into a truck or train car.

And the railway will be providing a nice extra bit of defence.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Oh, and note that having access to a lot of grain has some nice benefits as well - food and fuel. Despite what films and TV woud have you believe, gasoline doesn't last forever. Untreated gasoline starts going bad withing a few months and is unusable in six months to a year. Properly stored and treated gasoline lasts about two years. (TWD is about a year past where they should be driving anything anymore.) But, with a few bits and bobs from the local hardware store, that grain can be made into ethanol fuel...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daistallia View Post
    Oh, and note that having access to a lot of grain has some nice benefits as well - food and fuel. Despite what films and TV woud have you believe, gasoline doesn't last forever. Untreated gasoline starts going bad withing a few months and is unusable in six months to a year. Properly stored and treated gasoline lasts about two years. (TWD is about a year past where they should be driving anything anymore.) But, with a few bits and bobs from the local hardware store, that grain can be made into ethanol fuel...
    That I didn't know. Hmmm, but the ethanol fuel as an alternative is a superb idea. *Thumbs up*

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Wow! This is getting a bit technical

I can't do technical for some reason. That's why I gave up on the pylon idea. Couldn't wrap my head around all the angled girders at different angles and how to modify it properly! LOL!

You seem to be doing a very professional job of it all

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow! This is getting a bit technical

I can't do technical for some reason. That's why I gave up on the pylon idea. Couldn't wrap my head around all the angled girders at different angles and how to modify it properly! LOL!

You seem to be doing a very professional job of it all
    Thank you. Been busy prepping for the Thanksgiving feast at work, so haven't put much more work in, but I've got next two days off to play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast