Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** November 2018 Challenge: Map a Story ***

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Very tempted to jump in on this but the map I want to do has a 38 year old copyright on it from an author that passed away a little over a year ago (Julian May), so I am uncertain about actually attempting it and risking a copyright infringement of some sort. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?
    In the US, copyright lasts for the life of the artist plus 70 years. However, if you're not simply copying the map but transforming it into something that's more your own, and not selling it commercially, you'll probably fall into the fair use exception to US copyright law. The EU has more protections for artists, though (not sure if they would apply to Julian May, I haven't yet dealt with a situation involving the American author and fair use in a different country).

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Very tempted to jump in on this but the map I want to do has a 38 year old copyright on it from an author that passed away a little over a year ago (Julian May), so I am uncertain about actually attempting it and risking a copyright infringement of some sort. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?
    I don't think it's an issue. You aren't trying to profit from the map or make commercial gains from it, so I am sure it'd be fine.

If I remember correctly, aeshnidae is quite knowledgeable about this topic...

EDIT: ninja'd by aeshnidae

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    EDIT: ninja'd by aeshnidae
    Ninja lawyer!

Yay! And for the record, Julian was an American author. Lived here in Oregon and I was lucky enough to meet her briefly. Still not 100% certain whether I will give it a shot or not. Gonna have to look at my schedule and see if I can make the time what with the holidays and all.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

Well I've trawled through every notebook I can find and that is quite a few - I never throw my old notebooks away, much to the annoyance of my missus who uses the fact to back-up her claim that I am a hoarder. Unfortunately I cannot find the map sketch I am thinking about and I only have a vague recollection of how it looked. It was about 20 or so years ago when I drew it. I guess I could start again but I would really need to re-read all the old chapters I wrote and try to piece together how it should be but that thought stresses me out so I guess that at this stage it ain't gonna happen. Sorry.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Awww, that's very sad. Maybe next month

I hope some folks are going to join Ifrix and me. It's feeling a tad lonesome in here!

I would have liked to join in, but between work and holiday travel to spend time with family, I am just absolutely strapped for time. It may be that way for a fair number of folks around here for the next month or two. I am hoping to get something going after the holiday season is over.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I would have loved this challenge but doesn't seem right to join in the challenge I'm running. I'm with you in spirit though, started a city map for my novel today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I would have loved this challenge but doesn't seem right to join in the challenge I'm running. I'm with you in spirit though, started a city map for my novel today.
    Diamond would often join in on challenges he was running.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast