Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** November 2018 Challenge: Map a Story ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default *** November 2018 Challenge: Map a Story ***

In honor of National Novel Writing Month, this month's challenge is Map A Story.

If you are participating in NaNoWriMo, here's your chance to make a map for your project. If you are not, tell us a story with your map!

This is a challenge that could go off the rails in a couple of ways, so here are some ground rules:
    • The focus here is the map, so please don't post your entire novel. For all of us writers, this is a great chance to practice our pitch!
    • It doesn't necessarily have to be your story, but it must be your original map. Please respect copyrights.
    • You may already have a map for your story; this one must be started and completed during the challenge. If you already have a world map, create a region, a city, or a scene's "encounter map".

As always, title your thread: November 2018 Challenge: Your Title Here

And don't forget to use the ### Latest WIP ### button for each new upload, so that the thumbnail scraper gets your latest and greatest.

Now get mapping! The challenge will end on or around 8pm EST on November 30.

yikes...overly busy month for me already but I have been putting off doing a map of my world for a while now. Can I get it all done in the limited time I have, hmmm, not likely.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Sure you can Who needs sleep anyway?

I always say I can't get the motivation to work hard on a map that I don't much care about. But my novel world? I couldn't love it more! I'm still considering, but if I enter, I'll either map the world that is most precious to me, or make a new one along with the short story (if I make up a story, the map should soon matter enough to me...huh?huh?)

A very, very tempting challenge! I'll try to find the time to enter.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah but I already know I'm out of pocket the last week of the month which is seriously problematic. Oh the agony of it all...why isn't this a two month challenge?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Oooh, I like this idea! I'm so torn...do I map Sir Arthur Bryne's charge across the mountains to battle the Dark Fey and save his prince (backstory for my D&D world), or do I dive in and finish up Roland's journey from the Dark Tower novels, which I've been dying to complete? (I have a shiny silver compass from the first part of Roland's journey.) Decisions, decisions.

Ohh, I want to hear about the first one, sounds interesting!!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Ohh, I want to hear about the first one, sounds interesting!!
    I'm leaning towards that one. I can always do another Dark Tower map later, plus I have a song/poem for Arthur Bryne's charge! I came up with a melody and everything, but then realized it can be sung to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme, so I went with that for the purposes of the D&D game. The song contained clues for my players, which they did not realize in the slightest, but their PCs did enjoy singing it drunkenly in taverns.

Hahaha that is awesome!! I've never gotten MY players to drunkenly sing in a tavern, you must have a really fun bunch!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast