Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hostargo - Commission WIP

Josiah, you definitely do not come short in the color department. About the border, I suggest you chose a few elements (maybe by looking at what others have done or something linked to the setting of your map) and start doodling with pen and paper. When I'm stuck that's my way to find a solution. Keep up the wonderful work, it's undoubtedly rep worthy !

It's looking fantastic. Do not ever doubt your colouring ability!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Absolutely beautiful, love the circular sandstorm at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    That deserves some reputation Josiah! Beautiful coastlines, well made texture!
    Thank you so much Elterio!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Josiah, you definitely do not come short in the color department. About the border, I suggest you chose a few elements (maybe by looking at what others have done or something linked to the setting of your map) and start doodling with pen and paper. When I'm stuck that's my way to find a solution. Keep up the wonderful work, it's undoubtedly rep worthy !
    Thanks Thomrey! For the border I looked at some of Max's and Arsheesh's maps for inspiration. And thanks for the rep!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    It's looking fantastic. Do not ever doubt your colouring ability!
    The more I look at it the more I like it, then I think "Oh, I'm actually pretty good at this" then on the next map I run into the same problem, and so the circle goes.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Absolutely beautiful, love the circular sandstorm at the top.
    Thanks Snodsy! It's like a giant whirlsand thingy (haha, that sounds funny, whirlsand), I'm not even exactly sure!

And here is the update. At first I made just a simple border then found a clipart thing to make it a bit more ornate.
    I also added some clouds around one of the lakes, and put a different parchment texture underneath.

Nearly done now, besides labeling, any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPG MAP - Copy.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	84533

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

First, it's beautiful and I really love your snowy forests in the southern part and the clouds are a good idea that, I guess, you can use on some other peaks so they'll feel less lonely.

I also love the new background, especially the folding marks, it gives more contrast to the land but I'm not sure it works with the see which turns a bit green.

The border is a pretty feature but I'm absolutely sure you can do better by drawing it, you can do it ! I insist because it's really rewarding to draw your own and, again, I'm sure you can do better and more personal.

It's really a wonderful map !

Looking great so far Josiah.
    The border looks good. Look forward to seeing the labeling.
    Will the title change? Land of Something

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    First, it's beautiful and I really love your snowy forests in the southern part and the clouds are a good idea that, I guess, you can use on some other peaks so they'll feel less lonely.

I also love the new background, especially the folding marks, it gives more contrast to the land but I'm not sure it works with the see which turns a bit green.

The border is a pretty feature but I'm absolutely sure you can do better by drawing it, you can do it ! I insist because it's really rewarding to draw your own and, again, I'm sure you can do better and more personal.

It's really a wonderful map !
    Thanks Thomrey. I made it less lonely.
    I also blended it a bit with the previous one to give it the best of both worlds!
    Ah, sigh. Perhaps I'll try. Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Looking great so far Josiah.
    The border looks good. Look forward to seeing the labeling.
    Will the title change? Land of Something
    Thanks J.
    Nope, absolutely not. The "Land of Something" is staying! No question about it. Final... Jk It will be changed, I just don't know the name of the whole region yet.

And may I have your opinions with this? I added some more clouds, I didn't go overboard did I? I actually really love the clouds but what do you think of it?

Views:	93 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	84537

Let me know what you think.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Indeed a spectacular piece Josiah! Many things have been said about this beauty i can only agree with. For me personally the interplay of the fantastic coastline and the mountainrange(s) is the most outstanding part of the map. Great job! Also the cloud imitating the swirly islands beneath is just lovely Have some well deserved rep!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Thanks Thomrey. I made it less lonely.
    I also blended it a bit with the previous one to give it the best of both worlds!
    Ah, sigh. Perhaps I'll try. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks J.
    Nope, absolutely not. The "Land of Something" is staying! No question about it. Final... Jk It will be changed, I just don't know the name of the whole region yet.

And may I have your opinions with this? I added some more clouds, I didn't go overboard did I? I actually really love the clouds but what do you think of it?

Views:	93 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	84537

Let me know what you think.
    I personally like the addition of the clouds. I did that with Peng Li and thought that it looked good.
    That being said, other people said that they didn't like the addition of the clouds on Peng Li, so you may have some responses that are similar with your map.
    In the end, you have to make the choice yourself for what you feel is a good addition to your own map.
    But... like i said, I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Indeed a spectacular piece Josiah! Many things have been said about this beauty i can only agree with. For me personally the interplay of the fantastic coastline and the mountainrange(s) is the most outstanding part of the map. Great job! Also the cloud imitating the swirly islands beneath is just lovely Have some well deserved rep!
    Thanks you so much Abu. I'm blown away by all the awesome comments. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I personally like the addition of the clouds. I did that with Peng Li and thought that it looked good.
    That being said, other people said that they didn't like the addition of the clouds on Peng Li, so you may have some responses that are similar with your map.
    In the end, you have to make the choice yourself for what you feel is a good addition to your own map.
    But... like i said, I like them.
    Thanks J.
    I just looked up your Peng Li map, I'm always stunned by your maps. And I like the clouds on it. We'll see what others say, but the client liked it (he's only seen the one cloud, in the meantime when I was waiting for him to respond I added the others), but he said it was a bit to white, it drew the eye too much. I understand what he's saying, I'm going to make them a bit more transparent.
    So client likes them (at least the one ), and I like them, AND you like them, so how can you go wrong?

Does anyone else have opinions about them?

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast