Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 2017 Challenge: Possessions of the Eldish Empire

Guild Expert

This is excellent, I love the land shapes, the colours, everything... and this pattern in the water really adds to the whole feel.

How are you doing the relief? It's lovely, I'd love to be able to do relief like this.

Edit... I tried giving you some rep but I'm not allowed right now so just know that the sentiment is there.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

love the color scheme and the ocean pattern - looking forward to seeing it progress
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Looking great already Dan! Love the textured look you've got going and looking forwards to seeing the inset!
    Thank you GLS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its looking good, Daniel

The only thing that's getting me just a tiny bit is the repetitiveness of the curly wave pattern. I like it, but there's just a bit too much of it right now. Maybe it won't get me in the pattern recognition part of my brain quite as badly when you've added the insert and all the associated titles, scales and other things

(Please also remember that I have an atypical mind and patterns bug me about 10 x as badly as they do the typical mind )
    Thanks Mouse! I can see what you mean, though it doesn't bother me quite as much. The inset map will cover most of the bottom left corner, so the largest and most obvious area will be covered. We'll see how it looks when that is done (:

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    This is already a superb map.
    The waves are lovely. Did you make the pattern?
    Thank you Josiah! I didn't make the pattern myself. I discovered it when Ilanthar used it in this Domhantyr map and thought I'd try it with this map as well. I'm not entirely sure where I found it exactly, but it came up when I searched for 'wave pattern'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map, already! I love the color choices, the mountains, the land shapes...
    Thank you Ilanthar!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This is excellent, I love the land shapes, the colours, everything... and this pattern in the water really adds to the whole feel.

How are you doing the relief? It's lovely, I'd love to be able to do relief like this.

Edit... I tried giving you some rep but I'm not allowed right now so just know that the sentiment is there.
    Thanks a lot kacey! I did the relief using a technique that Daelin shared in this Quelgriss (Redux) thread. It's not very hard to do and the results are very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    love the color scheme and the ocean pattern - looking forward to seeing it progress
    Thank you very much tilt!

Here's an update. I have added labels to the map, changed some of the borders and added the basic layout for the inset map.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elda 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	5.70 MB 
ID:	94827

Let me know your thoughts!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Inset is looking good Dan! Also, love the crisp, clean border!

Great choice of font, though some of the labels are a little hard to read. Otherwise, really nice update Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Thank you Josiah! I didn't make the pattern myself. I discovered it when Ilanthar used it in this Domhantyr map and thought I'd try it with this map as well. I'm not entirely sure where I found it exactly, but it came up when I searched for 'wave pattern'.
    Hmmm. I think I need to use it as well. It's a great pattern, and I don't think I've used wave patterns like that in my maps before.

It's looking great! The inset is very well done.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I'm once again stunned by your work Sir! Absolutely neat yet beautiful to look at. For me your political maps are always pieces to look up to in awe and admiration. Keep up the fantastic work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert

Nice update, the inset looks good so far, and thanks for the link back to the Quelgriss thread I'll definitely have to try this technique.

It's great! The inset is really cool. I would maybe add something (a shadow maybe, or some thicker line) to make it pop more.

Love the pattern/texture in the water. Looks like a crazy amount of work, but well worth it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast