Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov Lite Challenge: The Mengkong River

Guild Novice Facebook Connected TT1's Avatar

Really like to observe the details. So much to see! Excelllent work!

Wow! this is really coming together nicely, love the linework! Lots of detail, one of your best!

Utterly awesome!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Thanks for all the positivity! I learned a few things doing this map, it's been great to try the paper method for awhile.

A little more story, I'll try to post the last bit before the end of the day, but if not… imagine your own ending!

A Well-Guarded Bridge
    Coming around a river bend, our lookout spotted a low stone wall and what is apparently a small barbican. It is manned; there are several soldiers peering cautiously out at us and one has sped off up-river along a narrow hewn path that scales the cliff. I imagine they are soldiers at any rate. Their kettle helmets match the fashion of the Commissioned Companies here in the jungles. The running one looks to be headed for a larger structure just coming into view now, a squat stone tower perched at the top of the cliffs. There also appears to be a bridge, or at least the remains of one, crossing high above the water. I think I may have an idea where the wreckage originated. The soldiers seem cautious rather than hostile, though I watch warily for any sign of spears.
    The Last Bridge
    The soldiers stationed here are meant to guard the bridge that carries the road we saw out of Casa Mezzo. They seem to be members of several companies who have enacted a treaty to maintain the bridge for the use of all. When I informed them that their road would likely see little traffic now, they seemed not to care. Several of them are already at work lashing timbers and apparently rebuilding the bridge. They have no leader, in fact they asked me for orders. When I asked after Captain Vessazi they told me he was “with his people” above the falls at some place they call “the timeless city.” They speak of Vessazi almost reverently, like a god, but one that they fear. As to the destruction of the bridge, I only heard that “they came in the mist and we had to burn the bridge.” Like the mercenaries in Valenzi, these soldiers were not keen on having any more to do with me once they learned we were headed up the river. I cut our conversation short and called for the sweeps when I noticed that some of them were gathering with crossbows. I feared they might try to take the ship, for they seemed most keen to leave this place and escape the jungle. Where warriors have no leaders, chaos rules.
    A Bizzare Sight, Sure Enough
    Our speed has slowed considerably. We no longer travel after dark but I intend to take the ship as far as possible, to the falls marked on Bezanti’s map if I can. We were just preparing to anchor for the night when the lookout spotted firelight up ahead. A tributary joins the main river here, and there is a large structure on shore at the confluence. The place is lit by a number of tall burning brands so I believe it is inhabited. After our recent experiences I am cautious, but I yearn for news just the same, and Bezanti has told me that we will be safe here. He seems to have responded well to our travels, he is more coherent and sprightly. I think there’s even slightly less grey in his beard…
    I can see figures moving in the firelight on the shore, and there is a quay with a caravel of similar size to ours docked at it. We will see what this is about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mengkong-River.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	932.5 KB 
ID:	77395

I'm going to try to get a proper scan later today and hopefully get it uploaded before the challenge closes, but this is the map, all done.

cheers,
    Meshon

Banned User

This is a gorgeous job, Meshon! The only one little criticism I have is that the drawing for Casa Cielo in the bottom left does not fit the rest of the artwork. It looks too much like the topdown building brushes and not like a hand-drawn picture, and the rest of the map is isometric or horizontal.

Your drawing skills are so awesome, I'm so jealous!

Man, what a map! The detail linework for the jungle ("fill-in") looks fantastic and "rounds up" the map really good. The panorama view of the timeless city is just superb. I tried to imagine what you'll do there, and this is sooo great. I love the details and the shading for the different levels of foreground/background (no idea what the correct term may be). But not only that, in my view it fits into the whole composition of the map/border so perfectly well. Not to speak of the cartouche...well i could go on and on....
    You can be really proud of your work and i agree with Chick on being jealous of your awesome hand drwaing skills!
    Beware of volleys of rep being thrown at you from the riverbank's thicket!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Great Finish Meshon, would love to see it in color sometime! great job.

Ah Meshon, that is brilliant sir.
    I think that is my new favorite map of the month.
    This is absolutely one to be very proud of, needs to hang on your wall... framed in gold or something.
    I need to go back and read all the story again but even without the story this is spectacular work. Love it.

Wow, impressive map Meshon! I love the style and the frame is gorgeous.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Awesome. Thank you so much for the kind words.

I managed to get a scan of the map. Note to self: leave bigger borders! Try as I might I ended up with a really close crop.

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mengkong-River.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	77403

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-16-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast