Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Silk Road Map

Wip The Silk Road Map

I'm starting a new project combining the "Britannia Atlas Road Map" look by John Ogilby - In 1675 he produced the first post medieval road atlas showing the roads of England and Wales (300 page book-I won't be doing this) - with the Silk Road Trade Routes around the Tang Dynasty 7th Century at its height, showing cities, grottos, through deserts, mountain ranges, etc. Stretching from China to Babylon (Persian Gulf)

Not sure how this will go, but wanted to try. Hopefully I don't give up at some point, will post a sketch soon, but here are the two starting elements I'm working with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BritanniaAtlasRoadMaps.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	79565

Name:	Silk-Road-Map1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	748.1 KB 
ID:	79566

Oh fantastic!

Can't wait to see this one take shape. What a great idea!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

Some time back there was a challenge suggestion to map a journey. I have been accumulating and learning stuff about the silk road ever since, figuring to do that map if that particular challenge was ever posted.

There are some great videos on youtube (several hours worth) showing the actual journey made and filmed by archeologists, stopping at the main stops along the silk road, showing the country and terrain it went though, fantastic stuff, worth watching as a documentary even without the map interest. I watched it all, following along on several of the maps I found on the internet.

I never started a map, because I wanted to keep that for the challenge if it was ever posted, so all I have right now are the videos and a lot of maps gleaned from the internet, so I'm looking forward greatly to seeing what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Some time back there was a challenge suggestion to map a journey. I have been accumulating and learning stuff about the silk road ever since, figuring to do that map if that particular challenge was ever posted.

There are some great videos on youtube (several hours worth) showing the actual journey made and filmed by archeologists, stopping at the main stops along the silk road, showing the country and terrain it went though, fantastic stuff, worth watching as a documentary even without the map interest. I watched it all, following along on several of the maps I found on the internet.

I never started a map, because I wanted to keep that for the challenge if it was ever posted, so all I have right now are the videos and a lot of maps gleaned from the internet, so I'm looking forward greatly to seeing what you do.
    THANKS CHICK; I'll watch these, I know I have lots of research to do on this one. I've kind of mapped out the areas that each section map will take - 26 in all, may cut it down to 13, not sure yet. Did I bit off more than I can chew?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    ... Did I bit off more than I can chew?
    Probably, LOL.

The reason I've been collecting, learning, planning, is because it looked like a huge project to me.

Of course it all depends on what you show ... route and cities would be easy ... full terrain would be huge ... simple terrain indicators not so bad. That's part of what I was considering when I toyed with this idea ... just how much detail could I do and not take a year to create it?

He, you come up with excellent and original ideas! This is gonna be very interesting to watch .

Guild Journeyer

Really cool idea. Brings back those 'Trip Tiks' that I used to get from AAA for road trips.

Wip The Silk Road Map

Name:	MogaoCaves3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	79706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	610.0 KB 
ID:	79704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SilkRoadGrid-01.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	79705

Still doing research, some great sites, especially the Grottoes (Mogao Caves, Longmen Caves), the Great Wall Towers and many more.

Here's a first sketch of the layout and an Overview Map of the routes, both land and sea. I'll only be doing the major land routes as a road map.

Banned User

I do like the ribbon approach, will be interesting to see how you can do it with both sides of ribbon and the bends

Interesting! I'm liking your ideas and looking forward to seeing this take shape.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast