Thread: Logos - Partial Continental map

Map Logos - Partial Continental map

Hi people!

This is a map i'm working on. I followed several tutorials i found here in the guild, and i tought to myself, why not upload the map in the site since i made it thanks to the work of this people?
    So i registered and here is the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scrollmap v2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	5.58 MB 
ID:	84668

Logos is a Dungeons & Dragons setting im working on. This is part of the territory.
    I used some brushes i found here in the guild and in deviant art, like the buildings, sea monsters and compass.
    The map text is in spanish, be cause my main language is spanish. Maybe ill do a english version.
    Id like to know what you think of it, what you would add to it, recomendations for further maps.
    Thanks to the people who made the tutorials and brushes, mainly Jeremy Elford for his tutorial series wich can be found here:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=2557

Welcome to the Guild! This is a pretty nice map especially if it's your first?

I'm not sure that the town symbols go well with the other elements. The rest looks more blurry (not necessary a bad thing) but the towns are sharply defined.
    Many labels are hard to read. Because they are transparent and/or placed over other elements.

And none but the lest, the first thing that got my attention was actually the river system. There is a lot of impossible rivers (using real physics).

• River never splits. Deltas are an exception but the ''islands'' form because of deposit at the mouth of the river. So, the river is not really splitting.

• Lakes never have more than one outlet (maybe in rare occasions such as a flooding)

• Rivers can't flow in 2 directions at the same time ( it's possible in very rare occasions with streams but not with rivers) . If you have several rivers crisscrossing each other, it becomes an archipelago.

Hi thanks for the comments! yeah i have little to no knowledge about rivers, but my first attempt seems to have failed in many ways xD. I made several mistakes with resolution, thats why the map itself looks blurry while the icons dont.
    Ill think about the rivers and how to place them in a more realistic way without modifiying too much. I appreciate your coment very much!
    A question: some of the rivers wich are flowing towards mountains are actually streams flowing in the opposite direction, coming from mountains to main rivers. I dont know how to represent this streams in a way that the viewer understand that its flowing from mountain to river. Any ideas?
    Last edited by carlansor; 06-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.

howdy what a nice tutorial! thank you very much again!