Thread: Need some input on "real" battlemaps

Question Need some input on "real" battlemaps

I'm running a d&d campaign and my players will be commanding a big army. So I needed to make a map of the battlefield with troop deployment on it. My first thought was to go look at examples at wikipedia and such. I stumbled upon this map http://www.britishbattles.com/waterl...rloo-map-1.jpg and while it is adequate, I think it looks incredibly boring, especially the hills and elevation. So I was wondering, how would you guys tackle this in making it look better? I am making the map of similar size and would love your input.

Here is the background I made for the map. If you guys wanted to give a quick example of how you would do things, I would appreciate it so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	84703

Haven't ever done a map like that, so can't help you, though I've wanted to do a map like that. I think the idea is really cool. I hope someone can help you with this.

How did you make that background? It looks really. really nice!
    I'd be interested in following your progress with this.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hey Josiah, glad you liked the background! It was actually very easy to make; started with a plain paper texture, then adding another texture of the cracked and folded paper on top and reduced opacity down to like 30% or something. I then used a brush set to add some stains to the paper, and lastly I simply did some color correction to make the paper a bit more aged and yellow.

Blog Entries

Trying to make your symbology more "interesting" is usually a bad idea. Focus on making your presentation clear so that the readers of the map can see and take interest in the content. Tossing textures and filters and nonstandard symbology around just makes it harder to read which obscures the one thing that you need to really be interesting, which is the content.

If you want to have it a little more interesting, you could try a slightly more detailed style, like this map of the Battle of Gettysburg.

But Hai-Etlik is correct... the map should be simple enough for your players to easily understand it. Aesthetics only come second.

You should also consider what it is that you want to present to your players.
    Do you want to go for a visual representation of the battlefield? Show the players what they see? Then go for a more artistic style, if you can do it and want to invest the time. Paint in hills and trees and rivers and buildings.
    Or do you want to give them a "real" battle plan? Then keep it very rough and simple. Consider that the fancy maps of Waterloo and Gettysburg were - with a lot of effort and time - done long after the battle. Go for a crude, handdrawn style. Imagine what a general would have presented his commanders before the battle.
    For example, take a look at this map of the First Battle of Bull Run / Manassas.

(And if you are map-crazy enough... do both! Use your old and smudged paper to draw a crude setup for the battle, charcoal style, to give your players an authentic feel... and then do a perfect precise copperplate engraving topographic style map, for your players to remember an epic adventure and for us to drool over!)
    Last edited by Freodin; 06-28-2016 at 03:45 PM.