Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan City

Yes. I think you may be right about that, Jo, but since this only took me about five minutes to draw I will probably make a new one all the same

I'm going to start a new thread somewhere and leave this one behind. I might do a thread about the creation of the trees, but I don't know if that would really fit in any of the categories. I'll see.
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-01-2016 at 06:36 AM.

I'm so glad you're continuing this, and making your own stuff as well, that's awesome!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks Josiah

Its really not that difficult with CC3. You just draw your image (with a transparent background) in a suitable image manipulator (I use CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint 11 because that's what I've got, but I imagine Photoshop, Gimp or any of the other raster based programs would work just as well), then I export it as a masked PNG image into the User Symbols folder, and can instantly paste as many scaled, reflected and rotated versions as I like on my map. Its as easy as that

Not easy, however, is going back to drawing stuff. I'm obviously a little rusty - haven't done this for years and years, as you can tell by the aged nature of my software!

I'm going to leave this thread for a while and start a new one about making all the new symbols. When I've started it I will put a link into this comment so anyone who is interested can hop over there to see what's going on

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hey ! how is it going with those trees ?
    I hope you're happy with your work !

edit : Sorry : I had forgotten to look for the new thread...

edit 2 : ... that I can't find. In which section do you grow those trees ?
    Last edited by - JO -; 08-29-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Mmmn-Ah. They... had a bit of a set back. I was extremely busy with something else. Sorry!

I've only done one more than before, but I need to find the right place to start a tree building thread. There doesn't seem to be too many of those around for me to find a nice little niche among them! LOL

There's a frenzy of activity going on behind the scenes, I 've started making my own textures as well - one or two of which will be suitable (hopefully) as material to cut leafy canopy from, which will make the tree building a lot easier once I've mastered the branches

Here is the second draft - black and white (one thing at a time - I'll do the colouring when I've got the structure right). Its got a horrible ugly top to it, but... I think its an improvement?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree dead 02 SD DRAFT.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	87050  
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-01-2016 at 06:37 AM.

I am also beginning to think that using a bevel is a bad idea - too cartoony for the job I need them to do. I need to relax and trust my own drawing skills - to just let it flow.

I was a painter before I became a cartographer

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It's certainly is ! Just ta stain in the middle, on the top. Just make it a start of one of those big branch ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

That tree is really nice! I think when it's small at the scale it would be it will be fine. No one's going to have a tree on their map that's 2000x2000 pixels.

You used to be a painter? So you do have artistic skill. Have you tried drawing maps from hand instead of using a mapping program?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Just saw, you're stroking your labels aswell mouse (so it's maybe a bit too much info in my reply to your question in snodsy's troll mountain thread...) Haven't commented yet on this project of yours. I really love your city layout and it's great to see you continuing it after the drawback with the symbols and making your own stuff now. The new tree looks damn good, and i agree, the bevel isn't even needed. Keep up the great work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That tree is really nice! I think when it's small at the scale it would be it will be fine. No one's going to have a tree on their map that's 2000x2000 pixels.

You used to be a painter? So you do have artistic skill. Have you tried drawing maps from hand instead of using a mapping program?
    Thank you Josiah

The scale is large because I may end up re-using these trees in a dungeon style map before I'm through

I used to paint landscapes in oil, and although they were only ever mediocre, I did manage to sell two or three of them. All that kind of thing stopped however, when I lost the house and had to move into a tiny flat, where there isn't enough space for such things. A PC takes up far less room than a full sized easel and all the mess and smell that goes with it. As for drawing with pen and ink - I'm pretty poor, and never the slightest bit satisfied with what I do with that kind of media.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Just saw, you're stroking your labels aswell mouse (so it's maybe a bit too much info in my reply to your question in snodsy's troll mountain thread...) Haven't commented yet on this project of yours. I really love your city layout and it's great to see you continuing it after the drawback with the symbols and making your own stuff now. The new tree looks damn good, and i agree, the bevel isn't even needed. Keep up the great work!
    Thank you Abu

Since I haven't read that one yet I still don't know what you mean by stroking the labels - LOL! At a guess you mean the black glow around the white letters. I will go and have a look at Snodsy's thread now and see if I'm right
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-01-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast