Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug / Sept 2016 Lite Challenge: Map an Arena

Default Aug / Sept 2016 Lite Challenge: Map an Arena

Aug / Sept 2016 Lite Challenge: Map an Arena

In honor of the Olympics, this time the challenge is for you to map an ARENA. Any kind of ARENA, any sport, any venue, any scale. You could do the Track & Field event arena from the 2016 Olympics, or the track from ancient Greece, You could do the Colosseum or some other Gladiator Arena, or you could do Foxboro stadium and the SuperBowl. You could make the stadium for Wimbledon Tennis Championship or the Beach Volleyball Arena from CopaCabana in Rio. Why not do the Blood Bowl? Maybe a NASCAR track or Ben-Hur's Chariot race? Like Sci-Fi better? Do the Pod Race on Tatoine! Lots & lots of opportunities.
    Use your imagination. Use your skills. Have some fun. Win a pile of Olympic Gold,,, OK, 1 silver compass. Still worth it!

The Challenge will run until the 14th of September (more or less) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass.

As usual, title your threads: " Aug / Sept 2016 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a new WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.

I also have question about the subject. One of the idea I am thinking about are a bunch of fighting pits beneath a bar. Would that fit within the challenge?

I'm sure it fits. good idea

Quote Originally Posted by djan View Post
    I also have question about the subject. One of the idea I am thinking about are a bunch of fighting pits beneath a bar. Would that fit within the challenge?
    Absolutely! Great Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by djan View Post
    ...a bunch of fighting pits beneath a bar...
    So, when I read that I immediately thought of the fighting pits described in the novels by Mark Lawrence. Can't remember which book exactly... Prince of Thorns or Prince of Fools maybe? Anyway, just wondering if that was the inspiration for your idea. Regardless of that djan, I fully agree that it's a perfect fit for the challenge and a great idea! Can't wait to see it!

I'm really excited about the challenge, too. I've got a couple ideas I'm juggling around in my head. I had so much fun with the last one, I'd love to participate in this month's challenge as well.

Hi mixerbach, no haven't read those novels, so I didn't get the idea from there.Don't know where I got the idea exactly. I know I have seen the idea of fighting pits beneath a bar in other places. Most of the roleplay sessions I play are in the Planescape setting and mainly in the city Sigil. And I know that the source books on Sigil contain one or two fighting pits like that.

I am also playing with another idea, but I can't see a good way to create an interesting map for that, so I am probably sticking with the fighting pits. I am planning an isometric map which is a first for me.

I love this idea!!! Unfortunately, I haven't finished August's challenge yet, and I accepted one of the unpaid commissions, but I already have a couple ideas for this...so if I do get the chance (and can complete it on time!), I will definitely enter!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Hey Bogie

I was adding more to my city map this morning, when I coincidentally ended up producing an arena.

I think I was subconsciously thinking of the Challenge when I ended up drawing it, and it was all over - done and dusted as part of my city map before I even realised what I was doing.

I would of course start a new map, and it would be at a much larger scale, but the story behind it would be the same, however.

Would that be allowable within the rules?

I was assuming so, since this challenge also reminded me to put in my arenas in my city in the other challenge and am also considering mapping one of them for this challenge.

Yeah it is OK to use stuff from a different map as long as the map you are entering here was started after the 1st day of the challenge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast