Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Sprouting Fear on Inocybe III

Many thanks for the nice feedback guys, I appreciate it a ton!
    In the Franco-Belgian vs US comics rivalry, by socialization and personal preference i'd have to take side for the former, although i'm far from being a dogmatic in this affair (especially if kneecapping is involved...). For the font, it's called "Fundead", i refer once more to the fantastic Blambot site. It feels indeed more EC / pulp like. The giant fungus on the exotic planet somewhat dictated it! I think there wont be as much text/story involved as in my recent maps, but i was thinking about adding at least some information on the locations, so it might even work as a kind of "tactical" map for a sc-fi rpg scenario. Dunno yet, first have to draw the zillions of fungi!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Diamond, do you mean "back when it was french" ? (discreetly puts his knee pads on)
    I (sadly) have to agree. Although back in the day before TNMT took over as editor, I loved it. This fills me with hope too:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/bu...oots.html?_r=0

I don't know much about comic books but I'm definitely getting a 50s B movie vibe from this! Great start and I love the colour palette. Do you get bonus points if you can actually pronounce the palette name?!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Nice start and - as always - a cool story .

Guild Apprentice

I really liked this style of map when you did it for the light challenge, and this one is shaping up to be just as good Echoing comments above, the font choice is perfect and the background story is great!

Nice start, cool storyline. I like the font you've used.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I love mushrooms! Also, I'm really excited that Archie and Salazar are still at it, I love those guys!

Thanks for always making such great stories out of your maps, and making great stories into maps. Love it.

cheers
    Meshon

Oh yes - I very much like the strange vegetation. It must take an age to draw!

The colours of that palette really are quite a challenge, but you are already using them like a master

Martin, will you please come back to the Space-shroom adventure setting ? I really would like to know where you want to take this.

@ Thomas: Ehm, yeah, non-mapping stuff took over the last weeks... and i thought i could get done more on this. Sadly this is going to be another unfinished challenge map, but i like the idea a lot and look forward to the next post-challenge wip...

@ Mouse: Thanks for the nice comment! Even if i haven't commented much lately, i'm well aware of your awesome entry for this challenge, and wish you (and ofc all the other participants) good luck!

@ Meshon: Many thanks Meshon, glad you like the idea to continue (or "prequel") the adventures of these space rapscallions.

@ THW: Thank you for the nice feedback. Glad you like the little pulp storyline.

@ jslaw06: Thanks jslaw, much appreciated! It'll definitely not be the last piece like this, but still have a lot to learn and refine.

@ Ilanthar: Many thanks, much appreciated!

@ ChickPea: Yeah, whether comic or movie, the B is important Thank you ChickPea!

@ Diamond: Thanks for the link to the article. It's an interesting read!

So, i will post a last update (for this challenge at least), being far from finished. Beside the large shroom forests, i started with the native villages. I was thinking about how frog-like humanoids would dwell and came up with these bubble-structures and ofc the obligatory frog spawn in the water. What do you think?
    The old military base / smugglers nest was a first try, and i'm not too happy with it atm. I think i'll overhaul it completely, when i get back to this map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sprouting FearWIP2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	88052

Cheers,
    AL
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 09-29-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast