Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct 2016 Lite Challenge: Lyonesse in the time of King Arthur

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Map Sept / Oct 2016 Lite Challenge: Lyonesse in the time of King Arthur

I'm posting at a very early stage to stake my claim on a mythological biggy - King Arthur! The land of Lyonesse, lost beneath the waves, is a part of the Arthurian legend. Camlann, the place of the final battle between Mordred and Arthur was on the borders of Lyonesse. Lyonesse was also the home of the hero Tristan, whose father was king of Lyonesse in the doomed romance of Tristan and Isolde.

Lyonesse was a neighbouring land west of Cornwall, so is usually associated with what is now the Scilly Isles. I'm positing "modern marine archeology" which has uncovered not only the archeology and geography of Lyonesse, but the fact that, given history is written by the victors, Arthur was actually an aggressive conqueror whose actions doomed the people Lyonesse, not the noble hero of legend.

I've based it on the actual coastline and seas around Cornwall, including place names in the Cornish language. Note this is unrelated to Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy which positions Lyonesse somewhere in the Bay of Biscay.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyonesse.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	87716

Obviously this is at a very early stage, the coastline and features still need a lot of work.
    Last edited by Bogie; 09-21-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Very cool. I assume the red line is the current coast of England? It is strange to think that that much land could be lost in just 1500 years.

Thanks! Yes that's right about the red line being the modern coast, I'll highlight it in a later version. Actually this is quite a small bit of land in comparison with Doggerland: you could once walk from England to Scandinavia, but it disappeared within 1500 years. Around this part of the coast of Cornwall you can see ancient field boundaries and fossilised tree stumps at low tide, so the legend is at least partly true.

Yeah! Nice. I'll be watching this one closely. Great start.

Praise Love this one.

Very well done.

Ok so I got rather excited about this idea and spent far too much time on it when I should've been working on other things I'm quite pleased with it so far though. I hope this map of Cornwall accidentally appears in a history textbook!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyonesse v1.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	917.4 KB 
ID:	87757
    Last edited by Robulous; 09-20-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Hehe, the mapping bug...

Looking really nice already! Lovely composition too and colours that easily could allow it to sneak itself into a textbook.

The text is nice and informative too, though having graduated in Cornwall myself, I've never come across the "University of Cornwall" but I guess it sounds more official than the real thing. Also, it's cool to think that if Camelot was in Falmouth, it would probably be Pendennis Castle which I've been to many a time.

Hopefully if I get around to it, I was thinking of either doing Avalon or a Camelot map, and though probably a different style they should compliment each other nicely. Good old Arthurian legends.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-20-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks well spotted! Yes the University of Cornwall is a deliberate invention, I'm imagining an alternate reality in which King Arthur was a real historic figure, Lyonesse was a real physical place, and there's a Camborne School of Mimes lol.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Haha, that's great!

I look forwards to what else you tweak or add.

Great map and the idea is well executed! Look forward to see how you develop this!

-Dan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast